Wool

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by brierpatch1974, Aug 17, 2006.

1. brierpatch1974

brierpatch1974 Well-Known Member

I was just curious if any of you actually sold wool? Everything I read says it cost more to shear it off and get it ready than the price you get back form it. If you have wool sheep but are not into large or even smaller wool production what do you do with all the wool you shear off? Thanks for the help, I am still trying to pick a breed lol. I do like some of the wool breeds but no idea what to do with it after I shear it off.

BP

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

We've sold to the local co-op, for slightly less than the shearing cost and nothing for the gas to get it there. My wife felts with our wool (Hat's, Scarves, critters, vessles, bags, cat balls, soap, flower pins, etc.) and we make wool stuffed (all natural fibre with cotton pillow ticking ) pillows that sell for a good profit. She's sold hand spun yarn, batting, and roving too. There is no money in "wool" but add processing and creativity and you'll make money on those. That it is your own wool, helps sell the product. How else can you say the wool stuffed pillow is chemical free and worth $30-$50?

3. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

We raise over a hundred head of wool sheep and travel to livestock shows.
    We keep them covered year- round and on irrigated pastures to keep them clean of vegetation. We show the sheep ($30.00 1st place), exhibit the wool in raw wool fleece competitions ( $25.00 1st place ), sell to handspinners, or sell to the wool buyer. In my opinion, you have to work hard to make money with wool sheep, and have a passion for it, of course.

4. bergere

bergere Just living Life

When I had sheep.. Would have them nicely sheared,,, skirt and clean them up and show them at the Wool and Fibre spring Faire. Always had buyers for my fleece as my fleece always won. At the time I asked $8.00 per pound.
    People came back year after year because they knew the Quailty and how clean it was.
    Did make money off the fleece.

Another way is to bring samples to your local fibre shops or like Ross does.
    I know someone that makes really nice blankets from her sheep's fleece.
    There are many ways to sell it....just have to be creative.