wool rabbits

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by second_noah, Dec 8, 2004.

1. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

I realize this forum is basically for meat rabbits but I am curious as to whether anyone here breeds rabbits(angoras etc)for their wool, but maybe not for profit. Also, if you do, do you spin your own?

I would love to talk to anyone who does or if someone knows of a site that could help me out that would be great too as my searches haven't gotten me too far.

Thanks,
    ~Christina

2. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Chrstina

go to this site and email Lisa- I expect she can hook you up... My wife has recently started raising satin angoras and one of them came from these folks.

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Hey,
    I raise French Angoras for wool and meat (They are a dual purpose breed) I don't spin any more, due to joint problems, but I can still felt, so that's what my wool is for.
    What part of the country are you in? I'm in NC, and can direct you to some help on this side of the country

4. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

I'm in NC too. I live North West of Charlotte. I am a total and complete novice to this. My only rabbits have always been pet lops or dutch rabbits, although when I was young my Grandpa raised rex rabbits for meat. (Funny thing really...we'd play with the babies and a couple weeks later we'd be eating them...I had NO clue! haha) :)

Anyways, any help round about these parts would be great. I really want to raise some of these guys and learn to spin for myself...

Thanks!
    ~Christina

5. DMC_OH

DMC_OH Well-Known Member

I know someone who has french and satin Angoras. She spins and also shows her rabbits. I have bought four french angoras from her myself and they are great rabbits. Here is her website for her sales page. She is a great person you can ask her anything and sheis very helpfull I am trying to learn how to spin myself.
    http://www.somerhillfarm.com/FrenchAngoraSalesPage.html