WooHoo...things are popping up!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by tamilee, Apr 21, 2005.

1. tamilee

tamilee Well-Known Member

Hi ravenlost;
    I'm with you on the WooHoo for the vegetables beginning to pop up out of the ground. It's one of the greatest joys of food production. I have my little "babies" popping up too. Spinach , lettuce and others. Hope your plants are disease free and produce abundantly.
    Have a blessed day!
    tamilee

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks Tamilee! Everything seems to be doing great except the Arugula. Something keeps eating it before I get a chance to!

3. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Ravenlost,

congrats on the garden success. On the arugala problem, you might want to check for flea beetles. If you do have them, hide your eggplant because they devour that like candy.

Hope you have a productive year!

Nikki

4. Ravenlost

Thanks mama2littleman! I'll bet that's the problem. Now I need to figure out what to do so that I can organically get rid of the pests.

5. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Beetles come from grubs. Milky Spore and Nematodes kill the grubs. Therefore, it should work for flea beetles.

Protecting some plants with row cover could also help, but I believe when the grubs in the ground turn into beetles in the air, that could also trap them. Who knows?

One person said to use the above treatments mid-season since that is when the new grubs are most hungry. Makes sense to me.

6. Ravenlost

Just got back from the garden. It is amazing how much has popped up since yesterday! Looked and looked for beetles in the arugula and couldn't find anything. Looks like it isn't being nibbled on any more so maybe whatever was after it at first has moved on. I sure hope so.

I've got one more bed to plant. It's getting late to be planting, but I still intend to put out my pepper plants and try some herbs in that bed. Hopefully we're getting a tiller on Friday so hubby can till up patches for pumpkins and corn. The volunteer pumpkin plants are growing like wildfire in cups on the back porch and need to be set out!

7. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

I'm doing a happy dance here too!!! Both kinds of lettuce (black-seeded simpson and red leaf) are poking their little heads up, all the radishes are up and I even found one onion sprout so, as far as I'm concerned.. it's a success... usually I plant things and they never sprout. I know it's a long way from actually eating anything but I feel good anyway. I wasn't careful about spacing (as in... I just sprinkled the seed down the little trench) and now have to thin the radishes A LOT. It's kind of sad having to pull up those babies that are trying so hard to grow.... next time I'll be more careful. LOL