Woohoo the taxes are done!!!! :)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sisterpine, Jan 20, 2007.

1. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

What a mess yesterday was, my home computer apparently caught a virus and would not turn on! Inside were my partially finished income taxes, my business mail etc. I was soooooo worried. Finally managed to get it fixed all by myself :) and then had to re-download and install just about everything including turbo tax. Thought I had lost it all and went to be kind of disgusted with the whole affair. Got up bright and early today to tackle the task of re entering all of the tax info only to find out it had been re discovered by turbo tax and merged!! Couple of additional things to add and they are DONE and sent! And get this......are you ready.....I am getting back 8.00 from the feds and owe the state 2.00!!! How good can it get! Sis

2. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

Congrats to you! After fouling it up but good myself one year, H and R Block does ours every year now. Got enough coming back to pay for my new-to-me car, fix all the stuff on my short term list, catch up the bills and STILL go to Georgia next month. YAY!!

3. sisterpine

Wow! that sounds like a big refund...have you figured out what is wrong that is making that happen? Maybe you are having too much taken out? In any case, have a great time with the windfall.....just think of how nice you were to let the gov hold on to your money all year for free! sis

4. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Sisterpine that is so cool. We try hard to get a zero back zero owed return, but we've never got that close!

5. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

I "prefigured" mine, and should be getting back a modest refund. Now I have to wait for all the documents to show up. I do my own (always have) but I went to school for that kind of stuff. . . I have to dig up some receipts for the energy credit - too bad we bought most of the materials that we installed in 2006 back in 2005.

I try to set things up so that I'm within $500 either side of the equation. It's always nicer to be on the refund side instead of the balance due. My DH works for different contractors and works seasonal, so this can be a bit of a challenge. At least this year he only has three w-2's and one non-resident state to file. SD does not have income tax, so there is no reciprocity when DH works out of state.

Cathy

6. sisterpine

Ive always done my own taxes too, grandfather was an irs man during the depression so he insisted we all do our own so we know what was happening with our money! I made a horrid mistake back in 1997 that cost me 10K including interest/penalties when they finally notified me in 2003! Now if I am in doubt I check it out! sis

7. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

That is excellent, would be hard to get it much closer then that. It amazes me how many people don't understand the concept that if you get a refund consistently year to year, in "most" cases you are just letting the government use your own money. It seems few people understand how the system works. Ideally you want to have "0" refund or payment come tax time.

8. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

We are almost done with ours. Just waiting for one more piece of paper to come in.

It looks close this year, so far we may be very close to having a tax obligation. They have been taking some out of my DW's paycheck. Hope to get it all back. With her new job and all, she did not want to claim 'Exempt' yet.

We hope that we can still fit under the wire, per say and hold a zero AGI.

:)

DW works for the federal government [as a grocer], and just saw a local opening for the IRS, so she is applying for that now.

Good luck all!