Woohoo! It's a crab apple. Now what??

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by cc-rider, Aug 17, 2004.

1. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

It IS a crabapple tree. Now.... what can I do with the teeny-tiny apples??? They are SMALLER than cherries.

2. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

I'm not sure you can do much with the teeny-tiny apples except let the birds have 'em. Better luck if you plant an apple that blooms at the same time & let the crab pollinate it.

3. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Jelly! You now have the perfect base for all manner of jellies - mint, blackberry and apple, hot pepper, oh the possibilities are endless!

You also have the perfect formula for rescuing jellies that refuse to set. I had never heard of using commercial pectin before I moved here, we always used apples for hard to set jellies like strawberry. It can be used to make a tarter flavor for elderberry or cherry jellies.

if you aren't familiar with jam and jelly making you might not know which stuff will set and which won't - there is an easy way to find out. Get the juice you want to make jelly out of and drop a teaspoon of the cold juice into metholated spirits (I think this is rubbing alcohol in the US). If the juice forms a blob in the alcohol it has enough pectin to set, if it doesn't form a blob you will need to add pectin extract. Once you have a juice that forms a good blob you add 16 ounces sugar to 20 fluid ounces of juice (I weigh everything, but I have heard people using one cup sugar to one cup juice).

Crab Apple Pectin Extract

1 pound sliced unpeeled crab apples
    1 1/2 cups water

Cook slowly for 1/2 or 3/4 hour, press the juice through a cloth bag,
    then allow this juice to drain without pressure through a heavy flannel jelly bag. Pectin can be sealed and processed 15 minutes in a waterbath at boiling temperature. Label and store until needed for jelly making. Pectin may be frozen to save for future use.

4. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

NO NO NO what you must do with them is make spiced crabapples. ball blue book has reciepes. Then after you can them up send me some :) . When I was a kid my mom always took me to this restaurant near us when she got paid and they always had a spiced crabapple on the plate. Boy were they GOOD!

5. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Definitely!!!!! I made their recipe using some honey, some sugar.....YUMMMY!!!

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I think her's are too small for spiced crab apples LOL! But they are perfect for jelly. Have at it!!

7. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Hey, mine are about 1/3 of an inch across! Can I use those for jelly? (Knowing full well it would be a royal PIA, but willing to do the work instead of buy pectin!)

Meg :)