Woohoo - got a good deal on a riding mower

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kung, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Kung

Kung Administrator Staff Member Supporter

My father has a buddy who owns a Husqvarna LT1238. He's owned it maybe 3 years, and is selling it to me for $500. Fantastic! I have wanted/needed one for a while (I have to cut 3 acres or so and have been doing it by hand) and I got a good deal. :D

2. jack_c-ville

jack_c-ville Well-Known Member

I used to work as a gardener for a fairly large historical property and museum and loved my Toro riding mower there. But it was all the little gadgets that you can add to it that really made it one of my most indispensible tools.

If they make the attachments for your Husqvarna, you should definitely spring for the little trailer and maybe a snowplow to go on the front. The trailer will become your best friend. And if you pull off the mowing deck, a riding mower can make a great snowplow for walkways and paths where a truck is just way too big. It's a lot faster than shoveling it the old fashioned way.

3. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

That sounds like a good buy Kung! If you get time, come on over this summer and help with my lawn.

I have a 46" Murray that has given me nothing but trouble! I usually have to get the ford tractor out to do the big spots and use the weedeater on the rest!

4. Kung

No problem. For you, my friend, special price of $6/hour. :haha:

5. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

You go guy! Good buy Kung!

I can see it now, channel 5 news, "........as Kung travels the country going from homestead to homestead, cutting all the lawns for his country friends...."

:haha:

6. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

:haha: :haha: "Kung of the Road"!

7. Kung

ROFL That was a good one. :D

8. texican

texican Well-Known Member

Sears has a discontinued model for $600 at their website and in some of their retail stores. Friend at the store said they were trying to get rid of last years models. Like a doofus, I went to look, although I don't have a blade of grass...free range chickens love grass :haha:

9. dale

dale Well-Known Member

The only problem with a sears or wizard are that they are made by American Yard Products. Some huskys are too. The way to find out is the serial number will start with AYP******

The problem is with the decks. The mandrels are weak. They break easy. Watch out about hitting rocks or even large tuffs of fescue if you have it.
    You can usually only have to replace the housing and they only run in the neighborhood of 20.00

But its good to have a rider when you have 3 acres no matter what brand it is. Just watch the rocks if you have any where you live. If it starts to cut uneven then it may be the mandrel.

Here in south Missouri we are blessed with lots of rocks. We have a fellow that purchased a piece of property and a house and with the deal he got an AYP mower thrown in. At the Small Engine Repair Shop I work at we see him at least 5 times per season.

Good luck.

10. Kung

It doesn't start with that, so I'm good go to. :)

I will keep that in mind. :)

Thanks! :)

11. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Yeah that's worth a cheer all right! Way to go Kung! I walked in to the local co-op store one fall day and asked the manager what he ewanted for his last MTD 10 hp riding lawn mower. make an offer he said. So I jokingly said $500. Sold! Well MTD makes junk but it lasted well over $500 worth of grass cutting! The same store a few years later wouldn't let their manager buy a damaged MTD mower the fellow had put hours of his time into straightening and fixing (off store paid time) It had fallen off the loading dock! So as I listened to the phone call he'd made trying to buy it with his boss end so unfairly, I offered to buy it too! He called up and the 15 hp unit was mine for $600!! I imeadiately sold it to him for the same, as that was the idea all along!