WooHoo, finally got some land!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Nik, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Nik

Nik Well-Known Member

I've been looking at places for the last three months I've been down in the Roswell, NM area and couldn't seem to find just what I wanted. Everything was either too high priced, or terrible location, or no water, or bad neighbors, yada yada yada. As I was sitting around waiting to teach a class yesterday I started thumbing thru the paper when I came across an ad for 35 acres with water and electric on it, so I got hold of the guy and made an appointment for first thing this morning. Within 2 minutes I knew I had found what I was looking for. It's a mile or so from small town south of Roswell, with mostly grazing and farm ground around it at the end of a dead end paved county road. Mostly new fencing and gates and good water. So we struck a deal on a handshake and he called a little bit ago to tell me which land and title company we were going to use and that we could close in another week. I'm as excited as a kid in a candy store right now, so if you see me doing the Happy Dance please excuse me.
    :dance: :dance: :dance:
    Nik

2. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Condratulations! :D It's great that you've found the place you wanted and have been looking for. A person's word on a handshake is rare these days and it sounds like you've found the right person to deal with.

Handshakes... those were the days. Living in the city doesn't afford much of that. It's so good to hear that there are still people like that around.

Hope you enjoy your new place and don't get too aggravated with critters you include. :p

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............You will really enjoy the area around Roswell . I had to check my road atlas and it says the elevation is 3,573 feet above sea level . It is only a one hour drive over to Ruidoso and the mountains . That country is high desert but with a fairly low humidity level I believe . Plus , your not too far west of Lubbock and just south of Abiququ . I, haven't been thru there in several years but it is supposed to have become somewhat of a retirement community . Good luck and enjoy your land , ...fordy... :)

5. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

Awesome!!!

I love to hear happy stories.

Keep us updated!!!

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

That's great! Hope it all works out ok for you. What kinda house you planning on?

7. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Huzzah! Congratulations!

That's just so exciting! All the best to you on your new homestead!

uhmmm... uh-oh. Roswell, NM? :eek:

Isn't that where the space ship/alien thing.... uh...

Never mind. :D

<j/k>

Like I said, all the best to you and yours! I think it's fantastic that you finally found that which you sought (with water and electric to boot!)

Pony!

8. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

This is how it happens. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :haha:

9. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Congratulations! We are in southeast AZ at 4,400 ft. You will enjoy the desert. The sunsets are awsome. You can grow any thing you want and remember to compost. Get chickens first and then goats, sheep or cattle. Fence in the place so no one can trespass including coyotes. We put 4 pt. barbed wire on the top and bottom of field fence. Never had any problems.

10. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

Dance that Happy Dance! :D Good going! Congrats and may you find that it's everything you wanted and more besides! Keep us up to date on how it's going. Oh, and on the composting, rabbits make great manure. Should be able to adopt some from people who bought them as bunnies at Easter and no longer want them.

TXlightningbug :yeeha:

11. Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny Well-Known Member

That gives me some hope...maybe we'll find our little piece of heaven yet...though we're in the NorthEast...

12. Nik

Nik Well-Known Member

I'm still deciding on what type of house I want to build, with this property only being a mile or so west of the Pecos river, my first choice of an underground house might be out.
    The place was used as a pasture before and has buffalo grass growing, so I might throw a few head of cattle out to eat it down and fertilize the ground while we decide what we want. When my wife and kids get moved down here next week I'll be able to use the digi camera and upload some pics.
    Thanks for all the encouraging words.
    More Happy Dancing.
    :dance: :dance:
    Nik

13. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

May your land be productive, your family healthy and don't forget to take time to just stare at the land once in a while. Like dont get so busy building you forget to see the sunsets! Congrats!