Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dance: :dance: :dance: We are sooo proud of our son right now!! His Californian/Giant Chin cross that he held back for his roaster pen took grand champion over 17 other roaster!! His sisters bun from the same litter took 7th (go figure :shrug: ) hehehe Just had to share! Our daughters Cal pen of 3 took 3rd ( our club actually took 2, 3, and 4th place in the pens). The black mini rex doe we gave to another of our club members took best 4 class!! And the rest of our mini rex cleared out the top of all but the broken class :)
Thanks for letting me brag a bit!!
Melissa

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
A little bragging now and again is a good thing! I know I enjoy hearing about other people's successes. Well done! :goodjob:

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,844 Posts
i think she looks great, what did the dark ones turn out looking like? are they as big as this one?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Melissa, I hope you don't mind that I resized the image and placed
it here to show off your beautiful rabbit. If you wish, I'll be glad to
remove it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi Milissa,that is a very nice animal,your son certainly deserved to win! I would like to see some pictures of her when she's slaughtered and dressed out.It would be fun to compare photos of her live with photos of the roaster carcass that she produces.Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Animalfarmer: She was donated back to us at the auction (and I was praying she would be). She will NOT be butchered as we will be using her for breeding next years pens. That is why I was praying so hard that they would donate her back to us. We butchered all the other litter mates and the 7 pounders dressed out at about 5 pounds. Very nice carcass.

KaSal: The dark ones from the litter looked just like a silver fox. And one was just as large as this girl. I do not have any pics of them though.

dlwelch: THANK YOU!!! I could NOT get that darn picture to resize! I really appreciate you taking the time to do that for me!

Melissa

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,844 Posts
i like colord rabbits better than white lol i bet the dark ones were just awsome too lol,

this may be a dumb question but what made you decide to go with the white one? is that a resquierment for the meat pens?

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not a requirement but was recommended. I was told the meat would be darker on the darker furred breeds. I didn't notice it though. If the biggest of the dark ones had been a doe, we would have kept it. I am kicking myself though as I think we should have kept a buck back too to use in my son's meat breed development project :p ah well. We are planning on repeating the breeding here as soon as the temps slow cool down a bit. I can't wait to start and neither can he hehe kinda fun to be throwing them together and not being quite sure what the colors will be. We have a BEW (big) mini rex buck (who from the looks of his test breeding is agouti of some sort), a Cal doe, a Giant Chin buck and then this cross bred doe to work with at this point. We may add others as we see them at shows if they meet the looks and feel of what we are hoping for.
I am glad you all think she looks good too!
Melissa

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,844 Posts
a Giant Chin on that doe would be impressive, the rex should be good in the mix too, the rex doe i have is more long and hair like rather than thick and rounded i would like to find a bulky rex buck for her but the helicopter ear LionLop buck will have to due for this go round, he is a chestnut and she is a black and white spot, so no tellin what will come out of that lol.

if you could find some Americans that could work in well as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts