WooHoo! Brought home 6 babies tonight!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Spinner, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I spent the day in Paris today and just out of curiosity I bought a newspaper to read. There was an ad for rabbits, so I called. I went and picked out 2 bucks & 3 does. I'll get some pics tomorrow and show them off, but for tonight they are in a cage setting on the back porch. They'll have to move into the old rabbit pens temporarily until they grow a bit and I get a rabbit tractor built.

I guess my grandkids have learned to be country kids. I didn't even have them out of the box and into the cage yet when my grandson ask if he can have their pelts when we eat them. I told him he'll have to wait for some babies to be born and grow up as these ones are my breeding stock. They love the cute little bunnies, but they also know that we will be raising rabbits for the table. I guess they've heard me and their mother talking and they have a better understanding than I realized. Thankfully I won't have to go through a lot of crying and begging to save the bunnies when it comes butchering time (at least I hope not! :p )

ETA: I just seen the typo in the title. It should say 5 babies, not 6 babies. I tried to fix it but can't change the title.

2. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

Sooooooooo, what kind are they? :)

3. Bernadette

Bernadette Enjoying Polish Rabbits

Forget the kids getting attached - I do it myself! To deal, I 'permit' myself to get attached to the odd kit or two to keep for replacement stock, and I 'block' out the cuteness of the rest of the litter(s). Perhaps when the time comes, you can encourage the kids to 'help' pick out the 'one' kit that will stay, and help them focus their attention to that one - handle it so it's calm for breeding, used to being handled to have its nails done, etc. Maybe even chose the kit yourself, and make it a job for the kids to help you 'tame' the bunny. For me, this makes it easier when the rest have to go.

4. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Ha, this is so going to be me... hoping I can get by just thinking of it as generic cuteness, rather than indvidual. Which is why hubby will be doing all slaughtering, I don't wanna know about it, just going to pretend they were sold... la la la, I can't hear you, la la la....

5. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Spinner, congrats on your new herd!

One of my kids enjoys the kits but knows they are for meat. My daughter makes a point of spending time the our breeders but basically stays away from the kits. She is going to help me pick a buck from Sunfire's bunch, I think I might mention she can help 'tame' him, she'd enjoy that. Good idea, thanks Bernadette!

6. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

LOL!

7. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Young bunnies are definitely cute... but I find that by 10 or 12 weeks they are a lot less cute than at 5 - 8 weeks. That helps. No one likes butchering and sometimes it gets postponed around here, which is why they gt to be a bit older. I find myself doing the same as Bernadette.... saving a "special" kit now and again. If it doesn't shape up as I hope we butcher it later as a roaster. All this is getting easier with time -- but it does help to "give myself permission" to save the odd one on butchering day.

8. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Ditto. I try not to get too attached to the meat bunnies, but saving the occassional "pet" makes things much easier...which is why I have several rabbits here that do absolutely nothing here! (Tinsel and Gizmo, you know who you are...)

It's also much easier to send the little dears off to freezer camp when they've just SCRATCHED your arms to shreds! Suddenly the bunny is no longer so cute. :D

9. Spinner

1 male & 1 female are REW, the other 2 have dark eyes, their bodies are white with light tan patches. The guy I bought them from said he had a few checkered giants so they may be part checkered. :shrug:

He had a black one too, and I wish I would have bought it, but didn't have enough cash with me to include it. I'll be going back next month and will see what he has available then. I might add a couple more to the stock.

He had some really nice looking rabbits in various colors. Some gray, red, white, black & white, red & white. Then the one solid black baby that I wish I would have bought.

We are suppose to get some real bad weather the next few days, so for now they are all together in a cage setting on the back sun room. I've been taking them out 1 at a time, letting them get to know the cat and the dog. The cat just lays there and lets the baby snuggle up to him. The dog bounces around wanting to play. So far they have all gotten along well together, but I stay very close just in case the cat decides this is his food :nono: . The bunnies have enjoyed hopping around the living room.

One quick question??? They are ages 4 -5 weeks. Is that a bit young to be away from their mother? They are eating the fresh grass I put in the cage, and they love the timothy hay I bought for them, but only 1 has even tasted the rabbit pellets. I put in 2 water bottles, but they are both still full. I'm worried that they aren't getting enough water.

I've had adult rabbits before, but this is my first time to raise any from kits. Am I worrying to much? Do I need to give them a bit of water in a eye dropper?

10. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

4-5 weeks is kinda young but they should be okay. Is it possible that he had water bowls instead of bottles? I would try the bowls. Also find out what kind of feed he was feeding, that may make a difference.

I just wanted to add that if you do go for additional rabbits, get does. You probably would have been good getting 4 does and 1 buck to start. A buck can service alot of does. An additional buck could service the daughters. But if it is only for meat, the father can be bred back to the daughters.

Good luck with your bunnies!!

11. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Definitely try water dishes instead of the bottles. You might also try sprinkling some rolled oats over the pellets to get them interested. I always feed my young rabbits oatmeal in addition to the pellets. They love it and it gets them eating solids effortlessly. Good luck with your buns!

12. Spinner

Today they are doing much better. They've learned to drink out of the water bottles, and they are eating the pellets. They are also eating the greens. I have been taking them out one by one to get them used to being handled. 3 of them have started showing interest when I go to the cage, the other 2 still act scared and try to hide in a corner. I want them to be friendly enough so I can handle them. I'm sure there will be times I'll need to handle them and prefer to avoid being bitten, scratched, or them fighting to jump out of my hands. Overall, I'm pretty content with how they are doing.