WooHOO!!! Awesome news!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Tracy in Idaho, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

I am SOOO totally psyched -- just got off the phone with the WSU lab and our entire herd tested negative!!!!!

Thank GOODNESS! I guess we're doing something right afterall! What a load off my mind :)

Tracy

2. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Congratulations!! I bet it's a big relief to hear such great news :dance:

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Isn't it the oddest feeling to be waiting on tests like these? You know they are negative, they should be negative, well they may be negative, but...I did give the last group of babies some whey from the cheese, and it wasn't pasturised...I did let ____________insert childs name (even if my children are adults now), feed the babies for me while I went to____________. Yep every year I wait and worry. Vicki

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Active Member

:cool: Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

:( :no: That is too funny.....I sent blood tests off on Tue. 1/11/05 and am sitting on pins and needles awaiting e-mail!!

Same here....Vicki..I sweat it every year.... :eek: worse than waiting a few minutes on an EPT!!... :cool: Don't have to wait on those anymore....too dang old and no equipment! :eek: LOL..instead I sweat goat blood tests????

Kaye

5. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Congratulations that is even better news than new babies arriving.

6. Tracy in Idaho

Kaye -- you should have called today! I sent mine in Tuesday as well! :)

It is a weird feeling.....I was laying in bed last night thinking of what in the heck I would do if one of the girls turned up positive. Especially one of the 4 older does that have been with us so long now. Thank heavens I don't have to worry about it!

I DO really wish I had thought to go down the road and draw blood on the doe I gave away. She was out of a top ten doe I had that died a few years ago, and I still own her twin. Now figure this -- her dam was 8 yrs old and negative her entire life. Her twin sister is 2 yrs old, negative. She turned up positive, and positive again on retest. From where?????? The rest of the entire herd was negative! I'm going to have to remember to go get some blood on her next time I test just to see.....though if it came back negative I would have to shoot myself <g>

Tracy

7. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Can you do these tests on pregnant does?? for some reason, I thought I had to wait till spring.. :confused:

8. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

At what age do you initially test? We have some kids that are a few weeks old now, and we are getting ready to test our herd. Do we test the little kids?

9. Tracy in Idaho

Yes, you can test pregnant does -- in fact most herds I know of test right before kidding every year in Dec or January.

I wouldn't bother to test at just a few weeks old myself. Mine are first tested the winter after they are born. If they have had any heat-treated positive milk or colostrum, then they can possibly show a false positive for awhile. So anyhow, mine are usually in the 9-11 month range before they are first tested.

Tracy