Woodstoves - Northern tool

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Bluecreekrog, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

I'm considering buying a woodstove from Northern Tool. They appear to have some very reasonable prices. Anyone used them before? Would like feedback. Thanks

2. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

What model are you looking at? I just checked their online catalog and the Century pedestal wood stove (small one) looks identical to what I am currently using to heat a small 2 room house. It seems to be well built; we haven't had any problems with it. The only thing I don't like about it is because of its small size the burn time is fairly short; on a cold winter night we need to stoke the fire every couple of hours. I wouldn't use it as the only source of heat for a large house, but it does the job for our place.

3. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

You don't say where you are located, but watch for the shipping charges as they can be as much, or more than the cost of the stove (depending on what stove you are talking about).

4. copperhead51

copperhead51 Well-Known Member

Don't do it. Get a good used "heatilator" type box stove. You should be able to pick one up from $25 to $125. They are excellent stoves.

5. swamptiger

swamptiger Active Member

I have the small Century stove, and I really like it. You need to have good dry firewood (cut short - 12" long - it's best to load the wood with the ends facing from front to back, rather than sideways), and you need a 6" flue in order for the stove to work properly.

This stove does a wonderful job for it's size, and it is extremely efficient. As someone else said, I wouldn't depend on it to heat a large home - too small for that. But they also make a larger size. These stoves are made in Canada - where they know a thing or two about heating with wood.

6. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I am heating an earth bermed, block shed 30 X 60. I am converting half to living quarters. I was actually thinking of the large century.

7. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I have purchased from Northern Tool on many occasions and have been 100% satisifed with them. They pretty well have a no-questions asked return policy - and they pay the return freight if there is a problem with the item.

Ken Scharabok

8. Frank in AZ.

Frank in AZ. New Member

=== I've purchased items (not a woodstove) from Northern Tool and have always been satisfied.

On the subject of woodstoves:

For me, a woodstove is more than just an appliance where price and performance are the only considerations. Over the years I've spent countless hours in the company of different woodstoves and for my money Jotul. Morso and Vermont Castings stoves are worth the seemingly high initial cost. Do they function BETTER than a lower cost welded steel or sheet metal stove ? Maybe. maybe not, but to me they have a special undefineable "something" that makes them a joy to heat with and live with.

I recently bought my third Jotul #602 and don't regret paying the premium price.

Check EBAY for Jotuls. I've seen some great bargians, especially if you live near the seller and don't have to pay for shipping costs.

Warm & Happy Holidaze to All,

Frank
    Cordes Lakes, AZ.

9. FLYbaby

FLYbaby Active Member

We bought our larger Century woodstove from Menards several years ago and are satisfied with it. It heats our 1400 sq ft 2-story farmhouse well. Not as pretty as a soapstone or other cast iron, but much lighter!