Woodstove in a log home/insurance

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Teri, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Teri

Teri Well-Known Member

We own a log home that we moved out of last Sept. and have been trying to sell ever since. It has a woodstove which we used as the primary heating source for 8 years, no problems. Now our insurance company (Mennonite Mutual here in Ohio) is demanding we take the woodstove out. We are not going to do that. I know some of you here live in log homes and heat with wood. Can you recommend an insurance co. that is not so uptight? BTW, the house is vacant right now and the stove hasn't been fired up in a year and a half.
    Thanks!
    Teri

2. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

State Farm was the only insurance company that would insure our house 25 years ago....

3. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

hmmm....now that I think more about it...they might not have even known we had a wood stove...teh log house was teh problem with other companies..

4. TurnerHill

TurnerHill Well-Known Member

Liberty Mutual will write homeowners policies on houses with woodstoves, as long as they are installed to code by a licensed installer.

5. Merit

Merit Well-Known Member

Back when I used to sell insurance (late 90's/2000's) it wasn't the wood stove that would have been the issue, but a lack of central heating. Unless the wood stove isn't up to code, that is.

Is it possible that was the real issue?

Whatever you end up doing insurance-companywise, my two cents says don't consider trying to hide anything. You don't want any cancellations or claim-denying due to material misrepresentation...

6. TurnerHill

TurnerHill Well-Known Member

Two excellent points, there.

Here, a house with no central heating is technically uninhabitable, and therefore uninsurable.

And lying about it will just mean you have the priveledge of paying for coverage, it doesn't mean they'll pay a claim.

7. JIL

JIL Well-Known Member

could it be an opportunity for someone to make themselves at home with the wood stove this winter and not use it proprely? being the home is vacant I don't know how you would get ins. State Farm will insure wood stoves in a log home but I don't know about the combo of it also being vacant.

8. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

We don't have a log home, but our insurance company (Pekin Insurance) didn't bat an eye when we put the stove in last fall.

9. Itilley

Itilley Well-Known Member

We have always heated with wood in our log home for the past 30 yrs. We have Concord Insurance and have never had a problem about the wood stove. Is you stove installed properly? I can't understand why they would want it removed.

RenieB

10. indypartridge

indypartridge Well-Known Member Supporter

When we moved to our cabin, our long-time insurance agent told us we'd have a difficult time getting insurance (he lived in a log home), and doubly so since the primary heat was a wood stove. He said rural homes, where there are only volunteer fire departments, are high risk. Log homes add to the risk, and wood stoves escalate the risk still higher.

He recommended trying a local agent for a large insurance company. I took a day off work and visited one agent after another. Some (like Allstate) said "no way" as soon as I said "log cabin", and several others said "no" once I mentioned the wood stove. Ended up with State Farm.

11. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

State Farm insured me, but the agent came out and measured everything to insure the stove met safety/distance specifications. I probably pay too much for homeowner's insurance, but I just don't want to hassle with trying to prove to another agent/company that the stove is safe...which would seem apparent since it has been in use (heavy use) for nine years now.

12. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Farm Bureau is awesome - I have no central heat, just use a Fisher Wood Stove and they insure my HARN..house/barn combination. Cheaper than other companies and cover me for all the regular hazards that farm life offers including a hefty liability policy. I also made sure to get insurance that covers the replacement value of the harn and make sure to have it updated yearly.

13. Teri

Teri Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, all.
    We used the woodstove as the primary heat source when we lived there, though I guess the baseboard electric heaters could be considered the primary heat, but it would be a bit of a stretch.
    We've never tried to hide anything. Indeed, the agent came out and looked everything over after we moved in. The stove is a Lopi, professionally installed. Everything on the house is up to code. It's only 7 years old.

14. ronbre

ronbre Brenda Groth Supporter

send a letter with photos and notes to every insurance co in your phone book..we found that some are several hundred $ difference in prices and some are way more picky than others..

15. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

We also have State Farm and they insure our "all wood" home (it's not log) at no extra cost. The only stipulations are the woodburning applicance must be UL Listed and installed according to manufacturer's recommendations and local codes.

16. Gary in AL

Gary in AL Well-Known Member

we have a log home and a wood stove. Allstate insured it with no problem.

17. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    It is cheap to install a few baseboard heaters and list that as the primary heat. It might attract a few more buyers. We only use a woodstove in our house, but it has baseboard heaters which is listed as the primary heat on the insurance/listing description.

18. clsmith15

clsmith15 Well-Known Member

I have a log home with a woodstove and am insured by State Farm at no extra cost. I've always used State Farm for auto and previous homes insurance so I did not even know there was in issue with insuring this type of home and heat source. The house does have central heat (electric heat pump) and I use the stove as a supplemental heat source. Why is a log home more dangerous than a wood frame home with wood siding?

19. countrysunshine

countrysunshine Well-Known Member Supporter

We live in a log home with a wood burner (in the basement) and Farm Bureau always insured us. No inspectiion required and the woodburner is one my husband built.

When we moved in it was our only heat source. We put the furnace in 4 or 5 years later. It is gas. I'm less afraid of the wood burner than I am the gas furnace.

I do know our fireplace added to the cost of our insurance.