Woodstove help

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Arlod2, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Arlod2

Arlod2 Well-Known Member

We're getting this house that was hooked up to a coal/wood stove,former owners took them when they left. so we're trying a a really small budget replace them. there's a chimey hook up in the first and second floor.

would you buy this one. http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/itemDetail.cfm?product=Yukon M-1950 Stove&item=622

or http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/itemDetail.cfm?product=Potbelly Stove&item=597

or http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/itemDetail.cfm?product=Great Northern Camp Stove MAJS&item=1160

I'm working currently with $215. to get one and a friend is giving us a very very old potbelly stove {railroad type.} and a electric fireplace. we've got two electirc space heaters 1500.. from Walmart and a small keroseme heater from a another friend.

Which would you go with. Arlod

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

How much space can you allot to the stove? The ones you gave links to are all tent stoves -- they'd work in a pinch for household use, but IMO aren't the best choices. I would get a barrel stove kit, and a heavy-duty steel 55 gallon drum, and build a stove out of that, if you have room (and a good supply of firewood -- they do go through a lot of wood). Most of the ones we've had had part of the top of the stove cut out, and a steel plate welded in (make it wider than the stove top) for a cooking surface. Or, you can do the same thing with a heavy water heater tank, or any of several other kinds of tanks.

Kathleen

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

4. Arlod2

Arlod2 Well-Known Member

Unforunately the husband {city fella} is afraid they're a fire hazard waiting to happen. sigh days I'd like too. LOL personelly I'd rather the barrel stove and the Yukon coal/wood. as I can in a bad weather sitation can cook on it. sigh..... Arlod

5. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

6. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

Your husband is right, those stoves you were looking at would be a fire hazard installed in a home. A proper UL compliant heating wood stove can be had for in the $400-500 price range. If you're going to have homeowners insurance, check with them to see what their requirements for a stove are, that's going to determine what you can get and how it' installed. Don't be surprised if the existing chimney is not up to code.

7. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

The money spent on a better quality stove will be rewrded by longer stove life, less wood burned, a safer installation, and is money well spent in the long run.