woodstove heat

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mullers Lane Farm, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Mullers Lane Farm

Mullers Lane Farm Well-Known Member

We installed a large parlor woodstove to heat our downstairs (does a wonderful job!) this past fall. Friday afternoonthe stove pipe split at the seam spewing smoke into the house. We let the fire die out and DH said he would fix it in the morning. I freaked wondering what we would do for heat that night .... until DH reminded me we do have a furnace! :eek: Amazing how we come to depend on the simplist things in our life.

2. MOJILL

MOJILL Well-Known Member

LOL

I know what you mean.

When my arm was bad and I couldn't bake bread - my husband reminded me that we could.......if we had to......if we were DESPERATE....buy it at the store.

Oh yeah. The Store! :)

Jill

3. jessandcody

jessandcody Well-Known Member

My wife and I are college students and we are starting to homestead as well. This is our first year heating with wood. When I was younger my family heated with wood but they mostly bought there wood. This year I am cutting, splitting by hand 90% of the wood we use and it has been quite an adventure! We are using a Voglzang(sp) Box Wood stove on two layers of concreat blocks. It helps with the hieght issue of the box wood(they are very short). But they do throw the heat when filled with hardwood! We have closed off one room of the house and use it as cold storage, we heat the rest of the house with only the wood heat. It has done a pretty good job for us as long as we dont forget to fill it! Ive grown to like cutting and splitting wood. It is a great work out and the best stress relever Ive found! My arms and shoulders are getting huge and I feel great! It is a bit nippy in the morn tho...... Its just a matter of getting in a habbit. But to me theres nothing better then sitting by that stove and eatting a dinner of home raised pork and homemade made bread! The reward is truely worth it I'm learning. Now we are looking ahead to spring and what we are going to plant and what we are going to raise. We are very exited to expand our homestead efforts this year. So many ideas.......only 4 seasons!

Stay warm,
    Cody

4. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

It might be wise to use three-wall pipe instead of single-wall pipe.

We have single wall pipe going up a brick chimney from our Ashley wood heater (the chimney is cracked and can't be used alone) but when we had our other wood heater in our former house we used three-wall pipe all the way. It is just extremely safer and the pipe lasts longer.

Everybody please remember to have good batteries in their smoke detectors too!

We got a new load of wood today because we haven't had a chance to cut any more and it is going down to 14 in north Alabama tomorrow night!

5. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Never heard of a stove pipe splitting...why ?? anyways...I don't think you all would have froze during the night. It just makes for "cozier" arrangements through the night. Hope you have gotten everything fixed Ok.

6. Mullers Lane Farm

Mullers Lane Farm Well-Known Member

There's a seam on one side of the stove pipe and where it goes into the stove isn't round but oval. It was at the seam that the pipe expanded and didn't close. We think it happened when DS overloaded the stove (the stove was glowing hot :eek:) Paul got some black stove cement and caulked up the seam. Good as new.

I also recommend a 3-wall pipe where it goes through the roof or wall.

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

May be different now, but the oval shaped opening on the stove used to be larger than the 6 inch stove pipe. There was a short funnel shaped pipe that went between the stove and the stovepipe, It fit the stove on one end, and the pipe on the other. Measure around the stove hole and see if it is bigger than the stove pipe.