Woodstove has a little crack

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by crashy, Nov 29, 2005.

1. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Ok noticed we have about a 1.25 inch crack in our woodstove glass. I dont know how long its been there just sitting looking at the flames and saw it :mad: Do I need to replace it or do you think it will be ok? :nerd:

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i think it will be ok. if it fails it will probably crack alot more first and you will have time to fix it. just keep your eye on it.

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Lehman's sells a compound you can use to fix smaller cracks in wood burning stoves.

Pony!

edited to say:
    D'oh! I missed the word "glass" when I first read this.

Sorry!

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

and if it decides too shatter? what keeps the fire in? i would replace it. fire looks nice when contained,

5. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

Yes, replace it imediately and move the stove at least 300 feet from the house. It is just TOOOOOO dangerous.

Anyone old enough to remember the eisenglas fronts on stoves will quickly tell you not to worry. Those things would chip, break, little pieces fall on the hearth, to the point you could barely see the fire inside. If you want to repair it for asthetics, go ahead. Otherwise, don't let it bother you. I am asuming you have the stove on a fireproof pad. If not, get one, not for the glass front, but for falling coals and other maladies which come with a wood stove.

6. skinner

skinner Active Member

Don't freak out. Mine don't have glass.

I leave the doors open. It don't have a brain, it won't decide to do anything.

skinner

7. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

Don't worry about it. If it gets worse, replace the glass if you want. In my stove the fire stays inside, even when i open the door. So there wouldn't be a disaster even if the glass did crack more.

8. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

if it is getting more air from the crack the wood will just burn a little faster is all

9. texican

texican Well-Known Member

....you mean you're supposed to keep the door closed??? How else can you tell it's working??? :baby04: Sorry... Hopefully you already have some fireproofing under and around your stove.

10. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

The type of glass used in a woodstove door will not “shatter”….so don’t worry that all of a sudden you’re going to have this large opening into your burning stove. Also remember that a wood stove “sucks” in air. So, if the crack is large enough, all it does is allow a little more air into (not out of) your woodstove. Just watch the crack. If the crack spreads so that it goes from one edge to another edge, stop using the stove, and replace the glass.

11. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

The stove sits on a slate pad.....I am checking on glass prices....Who knows how long its been there. Aint broke yet just cracked its really small so no worries about it actually falling out. Kind of freaked me out when I first saw it tho!!!