Woodstove gasket question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by almostthere, Oct 16, 2005.

1. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Is there a "special" gasket I need to use on the glass windows? Or is it the same gasket that seals the doors? It looks thinner, but then it hasnt been used in many years, and could also be thin from wear.

Thanks!!

2. almostthere

Can anyone answer this?

Thank you very much!

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

4. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

There is a thick putty called furnace cement that will do the job. I use it for all my sealing jobs on my furnace. You can buy it at most heating and cooling places. Home depot has it, but I wont spend my money there unless the little mom and pop shops dont have it.

5. almostthere

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Theres already a gasket in it but it doesn't look safe to use.

We dont have very few mom and pop stores around here anymore. Mostly on the outlying areas.

So, it is a different gasket than I use on the door. Thats the information I needed.
    Thanks again!

6. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

i could be wrong (often am) but i think i would go back with the gasket, i'm thinking the different expansion of the door and glass would cause problems with cement.. the gasket should allow for some movement. i would not think its very critical. large enough diameter to hold the glass off the door until its snuged down. not so large diameter that snugging down is difficult. of course if you have the model and information, it should be fairly easy to find it...the site listed above looks good. i know almost exactly what i'm doing.