woodsmans pal cutting tool?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ed Norman, Nov 29, 2005.

what do you carry on your homesead for cutting trees,ect.

1. Woodsmans pal

2. machete

3. bowie

4. hachet

5. axe

6. which ever one I pick up

7. other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

Years ago a relative who owned sugar cane fields in Florida gave me a couple of those. Both had the hook ground off and left just a triangle sticking out. He said the workers did that so they wouldn't catch their ear and lop it off with the hook.

2. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

I use a chainsaw for everything! I have used them for cutting down patches of big tall woody stemed weeds too. :rolleyes: Hey, it kept the neighbors away too!

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

well years ago i would have used a machete,now am with bare in the use of a cordless recip saw on brush. also use a corded one hooked to a gen.for brush and branches, anything else gets wacked with a chain saw(wheres the chainsaw nut smily?!?) problem with the axe ,machete route is the stem where the wood splits can let disease in more easy than a clean cut and whip backs when the branch hits back!

4. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I've got one of those "woodsman's pal" knives and I must admit it is a handy little devil. I've also got a home made machete or corn knife that I made from a steel truck leaf spring. It is 36 inches long or so and gets an awful lot of use. Of course when stuff gets too heavy or the job is too big I switch to the powered equipment. A chainsaw or a brush hog is pretty hard to beat for serious use. Now last week I had some light brush to cut out behind the garage and by the pond and I attacked it with my corn knife. I had the stuff cut and was heading into the house in less time than it would have taken me to drag out power tools.

5. commomsense

commomsense Beef,Its whats for dinner

Question, How do those wire saws you all are taking about work on trees. I have seen in ads they can cut threw 3 in trees in 10 seconds. Is this true?