Woodlot management: Has anyone here done tree marking?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by canfossi, May 28, 2006.

1. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

I am in this woodlot management program for my forest and am supposed to remove the lower quality trees 50% of the ironwoods and trees that are forked or diseased. It's hard to determine which ones to mark. If there is an open area in my forest and say a couple or forked trees in the open area, should I leave them since there are few other trees around them? Also, what if there are two nice young trees roughly 4" in diameter that are crowding each other, should one of them be cut? Any tips would greatly be appreciated. I am not cutting them until winter once the small plants have died off with the colder weather. Thanks Chris

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

If it's with the Forest Service, they will mark the trees for you.

3. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

I'm of the opinion that there are two trains of thought when it comes to forestry practices on hardwood stands.

1) Harvest only the diseased & defective trees. This is so that the prime trees reach maturity sooner. Of course, prime trees hardly ever get harvested. Most of them reach a state of over maturity and then acquire defects (frost cracks, red rot, etc). The offspring of these trees are terrific stock.
    The train of thought on this method is that logging is only meant to improve the timber stand.
    Prime trees are to be looked at, and rarely if ever harvested.

2) Harvest the prime money trees and put a pile of money in your bank account. Of course, the remaining stock will spawn off a generation of less than prime trees. The train of thought on this type of harvest is that hardwood trees produce a good crop of high grade timber only once every 75 years.
    In reality, many forests that were managed according to #1 go immediately into #2 when offspring inherit land and decide life should be lived with the enjoyment of expensive toys such as Corvettes, fancy boats, etc.

Woodlot management is far far easier than you think. Much of it depends on your long term goals for the woodlot.

4. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

canfossi, We have received excellent advice and assistance from state foresters in Pennsylvania, Texas and Arkansas. In one case they marked the trees and in both other cases they spent a lot of time teaching us how to properly thin, how to decide which trees to cut, how much space to allow, etc. All that was free for the asking.

5. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

If you're in eastern or central Ontario, contact the Upper Canada Wood Co-operative. For a $200 (if I remember right) lifetime membership they'll help you find a professional to come out and mark them for you. That membership also lets you go to all their seminars, put logs in their auctions, borrow forestry equipment, etc. Call Steve Pitt, (613)531-5723 Otherwise the MNR in your area will recommend somebody to help mark them. I'm not sure what kind of management program in Ontario would recommend removing the bottom 50% and all the forked trees, it's just never that simple. For example you might have a forked tree that's needed in a given area for reseeding a desirable species.