Woodlot improvement

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by canfossi, Sep 19, 2005.

1. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

A large portion of my 100 acres I own is forest. I would like to improve the health of the forest and also would use the wood for my heating during the winter months. Should I consult a forestry expert on what trees should come out or what trees to leave? What are your thoughts? Thanks, Chris

2. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

Though a forestry expert would know much more that I, I have selectively cut my own propertiy for the same reason as you, fire wood and health of the woodlot.

What I cut seemed logical, smaller trees crowding larger ones, regrowth clusters that are too tight together, trees that were leaning like they were going to fall and unhealthy ones that may have had dead branches.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Our state will furnish a forester to evaluate your trees, and mark ones needing cutting. Most people familiar with trees can pick the poor quality ones needing removal. The forester will mark the mature trees tthat would be to your, and your woodlands benifit to be sold as logs. Thus giving room for young trees to grow faster, and straighter.

4. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

State forester will come out and do this for you in some places. We had one come out and do a walk through about 15 years ago. I'm going to have one come out again next year. I need to do some thinning, some pretty large scale seedling planting and some conservation projects and they can be a great help for stuff like that. I tend to defer to an expert in things like that which I'm not too sure on. At least get their advice and input anyway.

5. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

State forester is the best bet, if not do you have a 4 year college? Ask one of the forestry profs for a grad student!

6. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

I talked to state foresters for about four years here in ny and they kept telling me that my trees were way to small.
    I decided to educate myself by learning how to grade trees and estimate board feet etc. It helps that I worked in the nursery business for 23 years too. So I called many lumber companies and learned what each of them would do. In the end I ended up selling 43 trees off of 5 acres and made nine thousand dollars and had lots of firewood to cut myself. I brought a few log tops to a mill and had several hundred board feet of cherry and sugar maple sawn at fifteen cents a board foot. What I discovered after a few years was that the remaining trees were growing bigger, faster. Before the trees were cut, they were growing a quarter inch in caliper every 15 years. Now the remaining trees are growing a quarter inch every two years. You can't even tell that any logging was done in there. My trees were way too crowded and basically stagnating. Now they are getting more light, water, and nutrients. I only took trees that were damaged in some way or culls. What I'm left with is a healthy fast growing woods that is worth more now.
    Do I recommend state foresters? About as much as any government worker for anything. NOT! Educate yourself and spend a great deal of time in your woodlot. Its worth it. Your trees will be healthier and so will you.

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter