Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband taught me how to build a fire in the woodburner in our new rental house. It worked perfectly the first day. Today it started snowing and temperature really dropped so I decided to build a fire. I opened the flu and vents to allow air in from the room. I warmed the chimney with lit newspaper and then lit the paper on the bottom of the fire box. Then I closed the door. Each time the paper started burning well but the kindling wouldn't catch and then smoke would come out of the top of the glass window on the door. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Don't close the door right away. Your kindling should catch, then wait for the larger logs to catch. Let the door ajar for a while until the larger logs catch, and things are burning well. I did the exact same thing as you the first time I started it.

·
Enjoying Four Seasons
3,107 Posts
Humm....was your kindling small enough? DH and I alway pick up sticks and such in the woods during the fall for winter storage....IF the fire goes completely out.

Sometimes when we burn wood that is wet that will happen. I hope someone else has more advice. Excessive smoking is usually because a good 'draft' can't be created if the chimney pipe isn't tall enough. (Been there, done that). :(

·
Registered
382 Posts
Leave your door cracked open until all the tinder wood has caught, and there are a few coals in the bottom of the stove, then put on your medium wood let it catch and close the door and you are off and running. If you open a window in the house until the fire catches it will help it draft better as well. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
18,153 Posts
I agree with leaving the door cracked open on the woodstove until the fire is going well. Also, a lot of woodstove smoking problems can be solved by opening a window about 1/2" or so while starting the stove.

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
Envision that all that air in the pipe has to get warm enough to suck upward. Some days the wind is moving diffrent and you will have to try all the things sugested.

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,474 Posts
Dependss on how the stove draws air. I had a stove that drew in from the bottom. If I didn't close the door right away, the paper woun't burn well. As son as the door was shut, the fire would draw correctly and get burning better.
Try more paper, ripped into narrow strips and smaller kindling.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
My son in law will not use paper in his stove. He says it stops up the flu.

I always used paper to get our stove going when it was in the house. Used it for many a years. I also found out that if I saved my dryer lint I could use that in place of the paper.

Paper makes more of that black sutt get out in the house.

I think you should have left the door ajar on the stove until the fire took off good. Then you can close it down.

·
Registered
940 Posts
My son in law will not use paper in his stove. He says it stops up the flu.

I always used paper to get our stove going when it was in the house. Used it for many a years. I also found out that if I saved my dryer lint I could use that in place of the paper.

Paper makes more of that black sutt get out in the house.

I think you should have left the door ajar on the stove until the fire took off good. Then you can close it down.
I am sorry your daughter picked him.. Nah just kidding.. everyone was raised with different beliefs regarding woodheat.
Use only the black and white print. Not the glossy parts of the paper.Do not be stingy with the paper and kindling.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
We have lots of oak trees around and there's always a small limb or large branch falling. I use this small stuff for fire starting. I have a trash can full of fire starting stuff broken up. It's great. Just wad up small piecies of paper, then put my broken up twigs, then a little bit larger stuff on top of that and I have a fire going. As this burns down some, I keep adding larger pieces.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts