Wood stoves

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Aug 17, 2004.

1. We are looking for a fan to place in our wood furnace flue pipe to boost the draft and try to get over the creosote. Or should we run a wind draft through it, like they had on the old fuel oil stoves? We also are trying to find out if the Sotz barrel stove kit manufacturer is still in business and if anyone knows what their website or phone # is. Can someone help on any of these questions? Please email princessbabs_82@yahoo.com.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Option 1. www.vogelzang.com another manufacturer. Find and click 'barrel stoves'.

3. OD

OD Well-Known Member

4. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

wherever to you get homeowners insurance for a barrel stove? My insurance agent would drop me like a hot potato at the mere mention of a barrel stove!!

5. GW

GW Member

Sotz went out of biz a few yrs ago. It's too bad, they made
    a nice stove kit. I still have one I'm planning to use.

Greg W

6. TheBlueOne

TheBlueOne Well-Known Member

What is your chimney configuration (mason or stainless steel)and what kind of wood are you burning? Professional furnace install or do-it-yourself?

7. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Put a damper in the flue that lets air in to increase the speed of the particles going up. Or if you have a block chimney with a cleanout open the cleanout to let air flow in.

mikell

8. greg273

greg273 Well-Known Member

I installed a barrel stove last year in my house, and am quite pleased with it so far. Not sure how long it will last before the metal gets too thin, but i suspect a few years, at least. Being a former 55gallon drum, the firebox is nice and big, so you can keep coals burning all night long. One feature i'd like to see is a glass window, and i just might have to make one myself, unless someone knows a place to find a ready-made one...

greg

9. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

IF you put sand in the bottom of your barrel stove the metal at the bottom will take longer to burn out.

I've seen square and round pyrex ware used as windows in a barrel stove.

You really don't want to force a draft for your stove, raise the flue at the top a couple or three pipe sections to get the same effect. Be sure the flue is at least three feet higher than any point within 10 feet of it, preferaby above the peak of the roof.

You can burn soft wood with a fast, hot fire to prevent creosote. If you're going for coals to last all night, or damping the stove, use hard woods to minimize creosote buildup.

10. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

I use one made about 20 years ago in Medford Oregon called an Orley. Esentially a barrel stove mounted sideways but the barrel is made from 22 inch steel conduit/pipe which is 1/4 inch thick. Still looks like new after 20 years. PM me if you want some pictures of it inside and out.