wood stoves for sale on Craigs list

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by VVG, Nov 28, 2006.

1. VVG

VVG Member

2. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I buy those and clean them up and resele them sometimes. plate steel can be welded, if they are in good shape and just need cleaned up... 100 bucks each isnt bad... I would offer them 100 for both in that condition if they are really rusty.

3. Janis Sauncy

Janis Sauncy Well-Known Member

A friend of mine just posted a wood-burning kitchen range on Craigslist (NOT in the Tulsa area) for $100.00. It needs some minor repair to the firebox. He told me if I want it, I can have it and he'll even deliver it to me (100 miles).

Also, there was a local news item on tv about someone going through a divorce who went on the new Free site on Craigslist and pretty much furnished an apartment (complete with a goldfish she was naming "Freebie") for free. Since the local Freecycle site I belonged to closed down, I think I'm going to check this out. I'm not sure, but I think that instead of people posting what they WANT, it is only postings of stuff people are giving away.

Back to the woodstove, though, my question for someone is: I live in an older mobile home and woodstoves are supposed to be "manufactured home approved" only for insurance purposes. The woodstove that is already here is not "approved," and the seller waived the insurance requirement because of it. I do have an "approved" one in storage I plan on having installed come income tax refund time so I can get fire insurance.

My question is, if I have the kitchen range installed in my kitchen, is there some way around the insurance question?

4. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

The glass in those stoves, if broken, can cost quite a bit of money. Just an FYI.

5. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

we did a little research on the mobile home woodstove issue, if i remember correct there is also concerns of fresh air exchange, along with the flamable/insurance issue.

6. Janis Sauncy

Janis Sauncy Well-Known Member

Yeah, it has something to do with mobile homes being airtight (?) and the stoves needing to be vented underneath. The one in storage is and last year when I was moving in, I had a contractor come out and look at some stuff that needed to be doing. He said he would have to cut into the floor to vent the stove I'll be putting in.

So, is it possible to "retro" a cooking range (I was told it was a Sears model from the 1950's) to make it "legal?" The guy I'm buying the place from told me to not even tell the insurance company about the woodstove but doesn't that open a potential can of worms if you have a problem down the road? I'd hate to be paying for fire insurance and then not to be able to collect if I had to because I "forgot" to mention the woodstove(s). I'd rather not even spend the money on the insurance premiums than risk losing any right to collection!

And, by the way, this old mobile home is anything but airtight!

7. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

what we have talked about doing is putting the woodstove in the part that we built on adjoining the mobile home, but our mobile is just 10 years old. it is pretty airtight. if you do opt to use it i would put fireproof bricks/backing all around and under it. you can get woodstoves that are converted to gas, or look alike gas or electric stoves. i have seen them on the web, but have not saved any of the websites. a quick google should find them.