Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever built one of these? I have not physically seen such a thing, but have seen pictures. Not good enough to build from though. I understand it needs to fit the top of the stove, and I would think it needs a thermometer either inside or in the door.

Are these things just open bottomed boxes with a door? How would you situate the rack or racks. Just one in the middle or a couple and different rack heights? Does it need channels of some sort for the air to distribute.

Any tricks to building/making/using such a thing?

Thanks for any help

Owl

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have a friend who added on to the top of his for bakeing/cooking. Would be interesting to hear about a remove able one or hear ideas.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
I have never built one, but I do use one frequently during hunting season. It's a Coleman camp oven.

Vented, recessed, bottom. A baffle inside that channels the heat to the sides. Adjustable height rack. A thermometer in the door. And vents near the top.

It does a decent job.

If I made one I would try to make the top sturdy enough to accept coals, think Dutch ovenish.

·
Banned
10,456 Posts
Everyday. I cheated Mine is a little chief smoker never used to smoke any thing.

I created lots of ways to cook on a wood stove.

Go to the survival then check out the vault... go to my wood stove .
.take a look..

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
I have one that I use a lot in the wintertime on my stove.

Yes, it's bottomless. It's really just a small tin double sided box with a door that opens down, with two shelves inside (pretty much just use the one as they are a small oven). Thermometer is in the door.

There's really not that much to them.

Google "bolo oven" if you want to see more about them.

Edited to add: Look on ebay for "stove top oven", as well. The name brand bolo ovens are expensive, but if you keep an eye out you'll see less expensive ones come along. Well worth it considering they'll never wear out unless you abuse them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts