Wood stove question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by texastami, May 4, 2005.

1. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

In a space of 750 ft or less, in an open space floor plan (no interior walls) - would a "wood cook stove" generate enough heat to warm the house or is another "heating" stove required?

The floorplan also includes south facing windows for passive solar heat with thermal mass to "catch" the heat and distribute in the evening also.....

Or would it be better to just put in a standard wood stove and use it for "cooking"???

2. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

From my experience, a wood cook stove would probably be more than enough for that size. Others might have better info, but that seems small enough to heat with a wood cook stove.

3. tamilee

tamilee Well-Known Member

Hi Tami
    Go to Lehman's non-electric website click on stoves and there you will find their "automated" stove selector help. You will be asked a series of questions about how you will use your stove and the condition of your home and its insulation, etc. . Then a recommendation is generated.
    personally I think a woodcookstove would heat your whole house.
    Have a blessed day!
    tamilee

4. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

TexasTami,

Hey girl, an airtight cookstove in that small a house will keep you sweating with windows open. Texas isn't exactly the coolest (temperatures) place in the USA. I live in Calif where we see four seasons, but winter temps are usually 20's and 30's. My home is 1300 SF on two levels and I OFTEN have the windows open because of the heating problem.

Consider an outdoor, screened "summer kitchen" and if you need the winter heating then place the stove near an openable window. Then put a Stirling Cycle fan on the stove aimed at the open window. That will keep you warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.

I'm only able to cook on the Pioneer Maid about half the year or so because of the heat. I also have a gas range for the balance of the year.

bearkiller

5. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

We heat our 960 sq.ft. house in Northern Minnesota with a wood cookstove in all but the coldest weather. Anything above 20 degrees the cookstove provides plenty of heat, and then some. At zero, and on down to the -50's we use a very small Jotul wood burner in the living room as well.