wood stove question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by kate, Nov 16, 2004.

1. kate

kate Well-Known Member

have anyof you made a wall fireproof section for behind your stoves? we have some slate pieces and have the idea to use that , now what type of concrete mix would be best and is their a special grout to use in between pieces? what's the best way to start........................ i know this sounds simple, but do you make it on floor and try to put on wall, or put it up on wall?

2. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Your fireproof wall must be offset from the wallboard or studs behind by several inches.. you probably want to consult with a company that sells and installs stoves for the necessary specs.

3. silosounds

silosounds Well-Known Member

I think it depends where you live, if there are codes you need to worry a little more about the distances so you can insure you structure. Some insurance companies can provide you with the clearances of fire wall from combustibles such as panaling drywall or wooden studs . We live in kansas and dont have codes in our area (still a bit like america )but the insurance company did have guidlines and they were, The wall that is either to the side or back of stove or wood burning appliance must be at least 18" of airspace or a fire wall must be installed this consist of ripping the drywall down to studs and use concrete board rated for 1hour meaning if it were on fire it would take an hour to burn through. then take stripps of the concrete board 3" wide and run them up and down were the studs are then use another layer of concrete board and attach it to the 3" pieaces leaving an air space of 1/2" between now you can finish this with the slate using non flamable grouts and concrete mix this left use with a wall rated for 2hours but if it were up to me id leave out the air space and build to the concrete board ( just my opinion) I also used just premixed quikcrete
    without gravel to attach my tile and grouted it with the same hope this helps.

4. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

What ever brand and style of stove you purchase will give you clearances. Our stove that we purchased gave clearances for wallboard as well as other surfaces.

We used 1/4 inch cement board doubled over our subfloor. Used Ultracontact full contact mortar by Mapei to attached the tiles. Then sanded grout.

5. MsTrish

MsTrish Member

I just bought fireproof stove board for under and behind my wood stove. It was not expensive but a special order at Ace Hardware.

6. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

we have a brick wall behind our stove and underit on the floor. built it my self.

7. MsTrish

MsTrish Member

One of these days I hope to do something nicer...but for now, this will do. To do it yourself is always the best way to go if you have the skills and time. For now, I am just glad to have it...and waiting for it to get cold here in Florida!

8. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

We put up a brick section behind our stove too. We used black tar paper on the wall, then we used doubled chicken wire stapled to the wall, then stacked the brick and used regular cement as morter. We turned the top row of brick out the long way to make it look like a mantel, then we stained a pine board, and placed that on the top of the brick and we trimmed the brick out with a nice trim. We used the chicken wire so the brick, and morter has something to "hold" on to and it helped to keep a space between the brick and the wall.

Belinda

9. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

In our current homestead our wood burning heater is mounted in the fireplace on the raised hearth.

In our previous homestead (1979-1988) we had tile things on the back wall and under the heater, sort of like ceramic tiles but they were made out of stuff like fire brick.

(Always remember to have a smoke detector with a good battery in it!)

10. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

you can buy heat shields to go behind the stove to protect the wall. You need to have an inch of space between the shield and the wall for air flow. Our stove has a shield built into the back and a blower which does a great job of sending the heat out into the house and not back to the wall.