Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum and my husband and I are making plans to homestead. We are looking at purchasing a Monarch Malleable wood stove for cooking. I see that it was made with asbestos inside. Does anyone have any experience with these stoves? It seems that as long as the asbestos stays contained it is safe to use, however I’m still concerned. Your comments would be appreciated.

·
zone 5 - riverfrontage
6,849 Posts
That is a fine looking cookstove. We have a Kitchen Queen cookstove, we love it.

As far as asbestos goes, if you were to grind some to a powder and then start snorting that powder it is a massive health hazard. Just avoid snorting any asbestos powder and you will be fine. Asbestos is typically used in automobile brake pads, and everyone drives automobiles without issues from snorting the brake pad powder.

:)

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Asbestosis & it's relation to cancer is one of those pseudo-science boondoggles created by the lawyers. If you have old asbestos floor tile or insulation, the worst thing you can do is to try to remove it. It does no harm where it is....Asbestos exposure is not associated with increased lung cancer. Measles-thee-lioma is, but only in smokers. (They don't tell you that in all those lawyer commercials on TV, do they?)

I've never cooked on a wood stove, but from what I've read, uneven heating makes it difficult. You're probably at bigger risk of getting Ca from eating charred meat and burnt bread crust than from the asbestos:)

BTW- Welcome to the forum!

Can we assume you'll be so far out in the sticks that LP deliveries would be prohibitive? I heat with wood, but have LP for heating water & cooking. It runs me less than $1 a day. Well worth it in saved labor & aggravation.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Do all wood cook stoves have asbestos inside?
Is it possible to get one without it?

If it's possible, I'd say listen to your gut.
Ignoring my gut has proven me wrong many times.
Unrelated to wood stove ovens.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Super Moderator
9,591 Posts
there are new wood stoves that have non asbestos materials that do the same function

are you looking to mainly cook or mainly heat your home and what are you running for square footage and insulation values?

keep in mind those old cook stoves are not UL listed and thus need Big clearances 18-24 inches from a wall possibly less if you have brick behind them and under them

generally **** stoves need very small wood 12 inch long and split down to 2x4 or so size

if your thinking warming some soup or cooking a stew as needed but more for heat then there are better options

·
zone 5 - riverfrontage
6,849 Posts
Do all wood cook stoves have asbestos inside?
Is it possible to get one without it?
My Kitchen Queen cook stove does not have asbestos.

My stove is their '480' model, and then we upgraded to the clear glass doors and the heated water tank on back.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Our kitchen woodstove is a Monarch, dated 1932. I've had it completely disassembled for transport, and I have never seen any visible asbestos. There may be some in some dark recesses of the stove where it might be incorporated, but so far removed from handling, that I would not consider it a serious concern.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Can you even install a used stove?

Here, it needs to be under 5 years old or it won't get certified and pass inspection.

·
zone 5 - riverfrontage
6,849 Posts
Can you even install a used stove?

Here, it needs to be under 5 years old or it won't get certified and pass inspection.
What is the purpose of this 'inspection'?
Who do you expect to have doing such an inspection?

We were once Foster-parents, at that time the state did very detailed inspections of our home, etc.

Our primary woodstove is our sole source of heat [we live in Maine], and that stove was a DIY project.

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,451 Posts
I'm not clear if this cook stove is an antique or reproduction. Old cook stoves have small fireboxes and are far from air tight. So, heat control is harder. The best newer cook stove was the Elmira. Large airtigh firebox with the antique look. No longer produced, but sometimes you can find a used one. photo attached.
If not, there are other choices. I would want a wood cook stove that is air tight and has a big fire box, because I would also use it to help heat the house. The Pioneer Princess is tops.

Attachments

·
Registered
670 Posts
What is the purpose of this 'inspection'?
Who do you expect to have doing such an inspection?

We were once Foster-parents, at that time the state did very detailed inspections of our home, etc.

Our primary woodstove is our sole source of heat [we live in Maine], and that stove was a DIY project.
City, state or county, depending on where you are.

Needs to be building code complaint, which typically means less than 5 years old at install. It gets inspected by the building inspector.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts