Wood Stove Plans

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Yukon Mike, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Yukon Mike

Yukon Mike Well-Known Member

Looking for a set of plans as I would like to build my own wood stove. The intention is to have a lot of glass for viewing pleasure and still provide heat, light and a cooking surface. Wood stove technology is more than it appears and I want to get the draft, flame travel and glass washing correct the first time rather than good old trial and error. I have all the tools to do this I just need a set of "Plans".

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I don't have any plans, but please don't make your "wood stove" out of wood....make it out of steel. I realize that wood is a cheaper material, but steel will last longer.

3. thebeav

thebeav Well-Known Member

4. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I dont have any plans either but i did recently have a glass front window put on my old old wood stove and the glass alone cost 200.00 for a 16 by 18 inch piece!

5. Yukon Mike

Nice try Cabin Fever, but I was planning to make it out of Iron Wood :haha:

6. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

we just got the Ultra model Blaze King. Love it, it would be a good model to copy.

It is catalytic (low emissions - low smoke - it all gets "re-burned" on the catalytic surface, and efficient), 82.5% efficient, and 4.8 ft3 of wood cap, with dual fans, thermostat for air supply, gold door trim, and combustion air directly from outside. It will burn up to 47 hr on low setting - fill it full of wood and let the house control the wood stove. Works Great!

However, do you need a stove, re Flordia?

Copy a good one.

Alex
    [​IMG]
    Blaze King Ultra, with Side and Rear Clearance Reduction Panels (std)

7. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Jacksonville PLUS ++++ 21 oC

At our Cabin, where the stove is near Chetwynd BC

MINUS ----25 oC

See what I mean about do you need a stove?

Good luck though, sounds like a worth while fun project.

Alex

8. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

I've seen them using a pyrex baking dish for the glass-cheap, readily available and tempered-at a fraction of the cost of a custom made tempered glass front.

9. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I think I would use something besides pyrex glas, every piece I have ever had , broke in the oven, while I was trying to cook something. I will never buy that stuff again.

10. Yukon Mike

Hi Alex,
    Your stove features sounds great, thanks for the info.
    I'll contact Blaze King to see if I can get a brochure and hopefully it will have some basic drawings that will give me a look at the inside construction, flame baffle plates, vent location/size, etc.

As for needing heat here in Florida? Not like you guys! :eek: Florida is a pretty long state, about 400 miles north to south. In Key West (southern tip) just about all you need is shorts and flip-flops year round. I live near Jacksonville, the north border, and in the dead of winter we have a couple of weeks of 40f low temperatures and 3-4 mornings when puddles are ice crusted over. So some heat is nice and the fire is something we enjoy having and we prefer the fire and to the heat pump running.

Yep, I think your right, it should be a fun project.

11. ckncrazy

ckncrazy Well-Known Member

A low of 40f! That is tanktop and flipflop weather hear in upstate (nothern) New york. LOL

12. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

thats not winter weather...thats a heat wave :D

13. MsTrish

MsTrish Member

Hey Yukon Mike....I live in the central Florida area and just had a small wood stove put in my house. Just open the windows and start a fire. I love it. In January and February it will be especially nice! My daughter's husband thinks I am a little nuts for doing it...but what the heck...I wanted it.

Trisha

14. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

You who live in Florida are really northern wanna bes, that's why you need a stove.

Probably run around in plaid quilted shirts and shorts too.

Come on up for a visit some time and get it out of your system, that's what I do when I think of a beach. It's called a "winter holiday", in your case, "in reverse".

Oh well, wood stoves are great!

Alex

15. MsTrish

MsTrish Member

You are right Alex...I lived up in Alaska many years ago and I guess never quite got over it! Have always wanted to go back...but guess that may not happen. Just the smell of woodsmoke and I'm a happy woman.

Trisha

16. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Hey that PBS gentleman "Alone in the Woods" who built the log cabin in Alaska started when he was 50 and stayed until about 83 or 85 years old.

You never know.

Good luck wanna bes.

Alex

17. Yukon Mike

ALL RIGHT, WHICH ONE OF YOU GUY'S DID IT ???? Who worked the Artic VooDoo?????
    Now it's going to be 33f Tuesday night and I'm going to have to break out the ol' snowmobile suit.

Oh ya Alex,
    Used to be a "bes", now it's nice to visit, but just for the record, I don't ever wannabe a wannabe. :D

18. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

Why build one when you can buy a perfectly good one for 145 bucks? Go to lowes.com and look at the cast iron heater there. really nice. I have one and it works great. It would have cost me twice that much to even try and build one like it.

19. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I think that this is the stove building book that I checked out from the library to read. "The Wood-Burning Stove Book" by Geri Harrington.

There is one available if this isn't the correct one.

20. Yukon Mike

Thank's All....
    I am going to visit a few stove retailers and do a little covert engineering for some of the missing details I need.
    Again, thank you! :)