Wood Stove Location

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CODIACRCMP, Apr 18, 2005.

1. CODIACRCMP

CODIACRCMP Well-Known Member

The cabin I'm designing is going to be 16x24. For the best heat, where should I place the wood stove? In the corner, against the 24 foot wall, the 16?

Thanks
    Danny

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I have a 16 x 24 cabin with a woodstove. No matter where you the woodstove, it's gonna cook you right out of there. I've had to open the windows at -20ºF to cool things off.

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

You want a small stove in a cabin that size, and will have more even heat, and more efficient use of wood, if you can provide some mass right around the stove. I would put the stove just as near the center of the cabin as possible, but really it's such a small space that you won't have any trouble heating it.

Kathleen

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

our stove room is about that size. stove at far end of room with brick up the wall and door opposite end of room.we did have it centred at first but too hot to work in .! that stove in the room heats a house thats 2500 square feet. smaller stove would heat the room well. when we istall the wood boier we have a smaller stove to go in the large ones place.

5. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

Like Cabin Fever said----------no matter where you put the stove, it is going to cook you right out of there. We have 1300 sq ft and one wood stove in the corner of the living room and it heats the whole house to the point that we are sometimes looking for the "off" switch that doesn't exist.