Wood Stove Forum??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tnborn, Oct 20, 2005.

1. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

I was wondering if a wood stove forum would be added?? I have many questions about using wood heat. How do I know that the wood stove that I bought is good? Use a flue or just have a pipe used for a vent. Someone I know used a galvanized road tile for a flue. Bad idea it had two different sections that had holes in it.What about wood stove for a kitchen? What different kinds are available which ones are better than other ones?Is it better to build a flue or build one outside then pipe in the heat?? thanks for reading this and for putting in your 2 cents worth.
    tnborn

2. mink

mink Well-Known Member

if you dont have a chimney i would go with the insulated stainleess steel pipes, dont know about where you live but in ny there 65.00 a 3 foot lenght. plus you would need a few other parts but there the safe and easiest way to go....mink

3. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

I know I would benefit from a special forum. Im finding new information after reading the same stuff the second, third and fourth time.

4. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    Hey tnborn.We have used wood heat for more years than I want to remember.Would'nt use any other.Yes you can use a wood stove in the kitchen,ours is a Bakers Choice and cooks great and keeps our big country kitchen and our son's bedroom warm,very warm.My advice would be to use a stainless chimney they are reasonably priced and very reliable.Just put one in our new house.Try to NOT go through the wall,the ceiling and the roof is much better draft wise.As for stoves we have a Earth Stove made in Oregon
    and it is GREAT.We just bought another one for our new house.Stoves are a personal thing there are many different one to choose from.Our's has a catalictic converter in it,uses much less wood,decreases emissions.and burns hotter and you can cook on the top of it.Watch out for small fire boxes,they have to be cleaned to often.Outside models have their own issues but I have no experience with them.Yes a wood stove forum would be nice.I love burning wood,heck,I love cutting it to.Think I'll go cut some,have a nice day.

Backwoods

5. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Thanks backwoods.
    tnborn

6. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

A new forum is not needed for each sub-subject someone comes up with. Just do a search on title only for wood stove and all related threads with those words in title will come up. You can also try other keywords, such as wood, heat, stove, ... Threads would stay in the system any longer. I think the criteria is something like if a thread hasn't had any activity for a year it is deleted.

7. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Thanks ken
    tnborn

8. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Ken

Would it make sense to maintain a sticky for "wood burners"?

Rick

9. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

No, IMHO wood heat is just one of about 1,001 aspects of homesteading. Nothing really special about it. You should find the search feature works nicely. Isn't my call though.

10. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

I agree with Ken, and oppose the additon of any new forums. I think we have way too many as it is. I just commented to DH the other day that the forum has lost much of the old feeling of community that it once had. Maybe I am in the minority here, but I dislike bouncing from forum to forum, and as a result, rarely visit some of them unless I have a specific question or need for information. As a result, I miss reading a lot of good posts simply because I do not see them. Anyone who wants information on a subject can do a search, or can post a new thread with their questions.

11. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

The desired need for many forums is inversely related to the person's ability to use the search function.

12. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Search engine on this forum is a good one. If I had my way we would go back to most everything being on one forum. I have 20 some years of goat experience, but seldom visit the goat forum because I just don't have time to be jumping from forum to forum on my slow dialup. Same way with horses, cows, chickens and gardening. To each his own, but I think a separate forum would end up with very few people that actually are doing it participating. JMHO

We have both a Vermont Casting in the livingroom and a wood cookstove in the kitchen/dining area. The professionals that installed the VC went straight out, then a 90 degree angle with a clean out and straight up. We have never had a problem with the draw at all. Same thing with all our Amish neighbors and their various woodburners. Going up through the roof makes it darn hard to do your own chimney cleanout in the winter (did that at another place). We went with the stainless steel, insulated for our chimneys. The one on the VC is 18 years old and never had a problem. We clean it once a month during the heating season and never have had a flue fire.