Wood Stove Fan ??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paramount, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Paramount

Paramount Well-Known Member

We have a Elmira wood stove that we depend on to heat our family room which has a high ceiling. So far, we have circulated the air in that room with a ceiling fan that goes 24/7. Most of the time that keeps the room very comfortable but in the adjoining room little heat goes there.
    Depending on our oil furnace to heat the rest of the house including a second floor, it isn't all that warm, temps only at 55 degrees in the middle of winter.
    What with the current oil prices predicting to be 70% more in costs this winter, I am looking at ways to increase the efficiency of the wood stove. We go through 12 face cords of wood during a typical winter season.
    This week there is a advert for a Caframo EcoFan Airplus wood stove fan which sits on the top of the stove and the heat causes the fan to turn apparently up to 150 cfm. No wiring required.
    Does anyone have such a fan on their stove and are they happy with the results? ...or would we be wasting $150.00 Cdn.?
    Thanks for any info you may be able to provide!!!!

2. Valduare

Valduare Well-Known Member

my grandfather has one on his stove that he absolutly loves. not to mention even though im a 21 yearold grand kid it still is something to entertain the grand kids with :)

3. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

We had one of the original models of this fan, used it for years before burning it up (fire too hot) Worked great, no electricity, I think it's worth the investment.

4. Valduare

Valduare Well-Known Member

i did some research and there are places online you can buy them for 40 to 70 dollars i have seen cnd check around i whouldnt spend 150 when you can spend less then half that.

5. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

I used to live in a house that had a forced air furnace. On the thermostat was a switch that said "fan only" when turned on, it would circulate the heat from the woodstove all over the house. We fine tuned it by closing some registers. We also moved the "cold air return" vent to the ceiling right over the woodstove, so it woould draw in the hottest air right off the ceiling.
    if your furnace has a forced air distribution system, you're in luck. if not, then using fans is the next best thing i can think of.

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

We use a small table top electric fan (set on top of a wardrobe behind woodstove 4ft) on low to heat our 1700 ft sq home with 10 ft ceilings....we also hve a thermostatically controlled fan mounted in the wall to push heat around....but seldom use because its noisy. Fan cost $5 and doubles as cooler in summer....

7. Paramount

Paramount Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the advice, folks!!
    We do have a very large ceiling fan going in the woodstove room and that keeps the heat down from the ceiling just fine.
    It's moving the heat into the main part of the house that would help things out so have decided to get a small little fan to place up on the doorway into the main house to move the heat along.
    Also considering putting a large fan on the stairs up to the second floor to move heat up there as well.
    Went out yesterday and bought interior window insulation kits that one places on the windows,using a hair dryer to shrink the plastic.
    This is a 100 year old plus field stone home and although most of the windows have been replaced, they have drafts coming from them when it's howling outside.
    Always some wind here in this part of Ontario, so much so that they are putting up those wind power machines along the coastline here of Lake Huron, for added hydro.
    Hope everyone keeps nice and warm this winter!!!!

8. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Would there be some way to make a duct/vent from the top of that high ceiling into the second floor? This would let warm air push up into the 2nd floor, and cool air would curculate back down to the family room to be reheated, causing a natural flow of air - no fan. This can be hard to control or create drafts or not work well with some floorplans, but just a thought.

--->Paul

9. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Lehman's Hardware has the between floors or between room ducts, fans, etc that you might want to consider.

10. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Id go with a few floor vents and set up a natural circulation too. That was pretty much standard procedure for a long long time. The house I grew up in had floor vents and upstairs was comfortable most of the winter. The vents arent expensive and you can usually find some old fashioned ones at junk or scrap dealers or a local architectural salvage yard if you're town is blessed with one like we have here. That salvage yard is the first place I go on my saturday morning walk. You might try putting a little vent between the stove heated room and other rooms downstairs with small bathroom fans mounted inside.

11. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

We have been using one for a few years now, and love it. Works even when the power is off, which the ceiling fan won't. You should be able to get one through ebay or on line for less than that, but maybe the price is up now. Good luck! Jan in Co

12. mink

mink Well-Known Member

try putting a fan on the floor of your cold room......it will make the air circulate.....mink

13. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I have fans all over.. floor ceiling walls sucking blowing pushing pulling air all over the place.... keep it moving aroinf the house and the heat spreads nice.

14. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had and used the Echo fan for years, bought a second one for the second wood stove. Works like a charm as long as you don't get the stove too hot, but the company will replace the fan for $50.00 american if the heat sensor burns up.

15. DakotaBrat

DakotaBrat Well-Known Member

We have one and love it. I pays for itself in no time as the price of hydro keeps going up. Circulates the air to the back of the cabin. We also have ceiling fans is everyroom and if it gets to hot we just turn it on.

16. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

Cheapest I've found is $89.00. Anyone seen better?

17. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

I'll tell you fan NOT to get and that is the little one that fits in the corner of a doorway or archway. We bought one ($29) and it was so noisy and really didn't move the heat. Rita in TN

18. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

19. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

20. thedonkeyman

thedonkeyman Well-Known Member

Do you have a double door system on your house. You go in one and shut it, have second door into the main house, an air lock ? Add on a porch ? Set up a simple Wind Mill out side to power Fans inside.