Wood stove chimney pipe question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Chris W., Sep 3, 2005.

1. Chris W.

Chris W. New Member

Hi!
    I am in the process of removing a propane stove in our living room and replacing it with a wood stove. The exhaust from the propane stove went
    out the side wall (log home). The hole from the exhaust was cut for a 6" pipe,
    I don't want to have to enlarge the hole.
    So...I'm looking at a wood stove that is set up for 8" pipe, can I safely reduce
    the chimney pipe size to 6", will this greatly effect the exhaust??? Or should I
    look for a smaller stove.

Thanks a bunch,
    Chris

P.s. why is stove pipe (triple wall) so freaking expensive???

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

No you cannot reduce the chimney size from 8" down to 6". If you did, your stove would smoke into the house everytime you opened the stove's door. In fact, if you bought a wood stove with a 6" connection you still couldn't go thru the wall using the same fixture at the propane stove did.

If you're going through a log wall with your chimney, you're gonna have to install a special thimble box into the wall. The box is probably 14 by 14 inches (maybe 16 x 16"). The stove pipe goes into the box from the interior of the home and the triple wall goes into the other side of the box on the exterior of the home. Then, the triple wall pipe has to be spaced at least two inches away from the wall as it goes up the exterior log wall.

3. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Just do it. Cut a bigger hole. As Cabin says, you can NOT reduce the size of a wood stove flue, or ANY wood, gas, fuel oil, propane, etc heating appliance flue. It is NOT legal, and it is UNSAFE, do NOT do it.

Get a chan saw, cut a bigger hole -- stop worrying about it do it right -- you MUST put the proper insulated thimble in, as Cabin said.

Good Luck cutting your new hole, no worries.

Alex

4. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Don't screw around with the installation! Get the stove you want....it will last a lifetime...don't risk that lifetime by moaning about installing the stove safely....there is no room for cutting corners when you are setting up a system to have a fire in your house....ya gotta be sure you can control it!!

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Just to echo what the others say - you need air space between the wall & the stove pipe of a regular wood stove. There is no way to use the same hole as the propane stove had. You will need a large hole with metal flashing. As well the chinmey will need to go above your roof line.

Some pellet stoves could do that, but _not_ a regular wood stove.

The exaust from a powered propane heater & a wood stove are very different, and need _very_ different chimneys. No corner cutting on this. The wood stove chimney needs to be able to handle creasote buildup, somewhat handle a chimney fire, and handle the high heat of a natural draft wood fire. That's why they cost so much, and are needed.

--->Paul

6. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

...and I guess it should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway. Many insurance companies don't like wood stoves. Putting one in would negate a lot of insurance policies. You need to be sure that it doesn't do that to you. You need to have it in writing, in a safe place that won't burn when your house does - even if it's just a standard brochure - that your home will be covered by whatever insurance policy you have. If they say "a properly installed stove" then you need to know what they mean by that, and you need to meet their requirements.