Wood raised bed boxes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by dlangland, Jul 16, 2005.

1. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

I already have several wood raised bed boxes, and my dad just brought wonderful pre-cut wood so I can assemble more. Question...I believe I know the answer. I would like to set some up in extremely weedy areas, like bindweed, whatever that creeping stuff, i.e. the creeping charlie vs creeping jenny. Don't suggest that I spray, because I will not touch a chemical to my soil. These are "inherited" weeds, not my own doing,a dn a neighbor already told me the olny thing he could think of was Roundup. Not going there. A previous raised bed at my other house...yes, they just came right up through the thickness of the soil. Would it help to put some sort of mat/barrier down before layering in soil and compost? And what? I don't want plastic. I was thinking newspapers???

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

Thick newspapers or cardboard works fine.

3. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Ya gotta love that creeping Jenny. It crawled out from under a 50 pound (at least) bale of hay. Nothing stops it. I hoe it. It grows six inches in the night. Been thinking about the barrier cloth. It comes in big rolls and the Extension Office sells it here. I'm afraid the cost might give me a heart attack though. Newspaper and cardboard are not possible here with the high winds.

4. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Can you dig or till the weeds up before you put down the newspapers? If you till and then rake all of the grass and weeds up it is a lot easier to keep them out later. I had to reclaim part of the yard here before I put in my garden. I tilled and raked and tilled and raked...and then put down about 3 or 4 thicknesses of newsprint(the non shiney kind) and then put straw down to hold in the moisture and hold down the paper. It has worked great for me so far...only have to pull a few bits of bermuda that seem to be able to grow through concrete!!!

5. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Yes. I should. I plan to layer in soil/compost/and leaves, clippings, etc. to let it finish composting itself over the winter, not growing anything yet until next spring. So, the wind won't be a problem for me like it would in an open area. :rolleyes:

6. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

You could use plastic as a temporary measure. That's what I'll be doing to kill some nasty unwanted stuff. Plastic down until it's dead, then remove plastic and get on with it. I'll reuse the same plastic for years to come, without ever leaving it down for more than a couple weeks at a time. I won't use chemicals, either, and don't want to put plastic down and leave it as some do, but this is a compromise that works for me.

Meg

7. exegeses

exegeses Well-Known Member

I'm still new at gardening myself, so if I sound silly, just ignore me!

What about some heavy, dark fabric? Last year when I planted strawberries, that's what I put down on the ground, and it worked so well, I plan on doing it again. I just got some thick(er) dark fabric (a navy blue) at Wally World's SuperCenter from their $1 yard table. When you get the $1 yard fabric, you can't always be sure what the fiber content is, but I thought the stuff I bought was at least part cotton. It worked great! It kept all the weeds from growing (but I didn't have any established ones to start out with), easily let plenty of water through, and by this spring it had almost totally broke down into the soil (I could only find a few pieces the size of my hand). Because you're dealing with established weeds, maybe several layers would work better than just one. And be sure to get dark fabric because it will absorb heat better and maybe help to kill the weeds by over heating them.