Wood Heater in Mobile Home/Trailer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TnTnTn, Mar 6, 2005.

1. TnTnTn

TnTnTn Well-Known Member

I have seen cautions or 'don't do it' but what are the real concerns?

Do any of you have wood heaters in mobile homes? My inlaws would like to put one in their trailer.

Thanks for any info. TnTnTn

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, it is difficult to find insurance for a regular house with wood furnace any more. Mobil homes are precived (right or wrong) as a tinder box waiting to burn up in 30 seconds. So you will not get insurance.

If you fib & get insurance anyhow, then you are paying premiums but they will not pay on a house fire, so it is wasted payments.....

Work that out, and then the risk of a mobile home is up to you.

--->Paul

3. mtnmom208

mtnmom208 Well-Known Member

We live in an old mobile home with an addition. We heat exclusively with wood for more than half the year and I will tell you why we feel confident. It is considered a dangerous idea for most situations and most insurance companies will not cover you for fire but we have found many ways to make ourselves safe and insurable. It is code in our county for older mobiles to be remodeled with sheet rock throughout whether you heat with wood or not. We have a propane wall heater as an alternative heat source that is considered safe by our ins. co. Our wood stove is considered "airtight" for safety and efficiency. The stove is 36" from the wall which is covered with cement board and sits on a large tile base. The pipe is triple-wall all the way through the ceiling, attic, and roof. The roof is non-flammable. We have a smoke detector too, of course. We feel safe and love wood heat.

4. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

we live in a 1972 trailer. We heat with wood... we have a wood burner in the breezeway outside that's plumbed into the house..... it works for us..

we also have a wall mounted propane heater.. we LOVE IT!

5. mtboy

mtboy Member

We rent a moble that only has wood heat. One in the living room and one in an addition. They have been used for at least 15 years with no problem. They have triple wall pipe through the sheet rock ceiling,and a heat sheild on the wall behind the stoves. We love it . even when it's 20 below we are nice and warm and our wood we get for free so our heat bill is zero $$ that is what is really great.

Mtboy

6. nwilder

nwilder Active Member

We have an outdoor wood burner for our double wide. Had no problem at all getting insurance. May be because its outside. We love it. Should have gotten one years ago!

7. ayleeann

ayleeann Well-Known Member

Wood stove has been only heat for 10 years in my single wide.

8. pamda

pamda Well-Known Member Supporter

We lived in a single wide with a plain old wood burner in the living room for 2 years in the early '80s with no problems at all. If I had known about all the "dangers" I would have had a nervious fit. LOL. I didn't know and had to worries at all. Worked well and saved us a ton of money. The wood was free from a lumber yard and 2 pick up loads lasted the time we were there. I even cooked breakfast and stew on the top. My mom thought I had lost my mind. PAM

Whoops! Make that four truck loads.