Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many, many years ago, I stumbled into numerous bottles of Elmer's wood glue for $1 each. I just used the last of my wood glue, and need to buy another bottle.

I am a little amazed at the selection of wood glues on the market at big box stores! Seems that there are 12 brands and 38 different types, not including the epoxy types.

Not that many years ago, your choices in wood glue at a standard store was Elmer's, and you needed to figure out if you wanted interior or exterior. They got really wild when they introduced white and yellow varieties!!

I am a little perplexed. Part of me wants to reach for the standard yellow interior/exterior Elmer's glue that I've been using for years, and the other part of me wants to try the Gorilla brand.

Will the Gorilla wood glue dry up in the bottle? I had a similar type made by Elmer's, which was quickly discontinued and pulled from the store shelves. That stuff would dry up in a few days, and be rock hard, after opening the bottle.

What do you use?

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
I used tribond for some time but wasn't happy with the hold with the bee hives I assembled with it.
Switched to Gorilla glue and is all I use these day on so much stuff. Yes it will harden in the bottle but takes time. Secret is to when finished stand the bottle up squeeze the air out of the bottle then cap it. It will last a very long time that way. At least a year I think. Just remember with Gorilla glue you have to dampen the area to be glued, I use a mister bottle for most stuff, frame parts I just put to soaking in a 5 gallon pail of water.

:D Al

Reactions: clovis

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I'm a titebond II guy. I build furniture for a living. I'll test the glue at joints. Glue up a joint and set the board on 2 cinder blocks joint facing you. Hit it with a sledgehammer. For me titebond II was the only one that didn't break on the seam. III works great to.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Also a Titebond user: II for all the inside projects, III for outside. I bought some last week, looks like they may have changed the name of the Titebind III to Supeour (Supieor/Supiuor/however-the-heck-you-spell-it!). Most of my projects are for the barn/shop/etc, so I like the fact that the II is rated for outdoor. Some of the cheaper stuff falls apart with humidity and temperature changes. I've NEVER had Titebind joint fail. Curt

·
NJ Rich
1,239 Posts
For most interior work I like TITE BOND.

GORILLA GLUE is not meant for most finish work. It is an expanding glue, that as said earlier, needs moisture to activate and make a good bond. When moist it will usually expand beyond the edges of the repair and will not finish well. IMO

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Gorilla glue is an over priced and over rated glue. Many better products fir less money on the market. It finishes messy and had very short shelf life. Tsc sells it discounted all the time because unopened bottles are starting to harden.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts