Wood Gasifiers How-to and does anyone use?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Vette Eaterr, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Vette Eaterr

Vette Eaterr Well-Known Member

I got my latest issue of Farm Show, enter shameless plug, and they have an article on using wood gas to run a pick-up truck. Basically they heat up raw wood and use the resulting gas to run the truck engine. Has anyone attemted this? I understand they used to use this in WW2, and still use it today in Sweden. From what I found online they don't look too hard to build but I also like to find a manufacture. Something like this if I built it would'nt be nearly as efficent as one a company who has been researching this can build. So if you use wood gas how is it, and do you know of anyone that's building them?

Thanks

2. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

in the early 80s the mother earth news ran an articale on this had plans to build a unit to run a pickup

3. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Never tried it, but watch out for the carbon monoxide.

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

My unckle did this with a friend, got it to work. I believe that was back in the WWII era.....

--->Paul

5. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

I would if we would be better served by wood-fired steam engines.

???

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I read the story in FARM SHOW also. Why wouldn't the same system work to heat a house? It said the gas/smoke coming out of the gasafier can reach 2000 degrees. Instesd of blowing this heat out into the air as it does on the truck, why not blow it into a heating system. Also the gas produced would be enough to run a gas furnace.
    I would like to see what could be done with this, and also see why it isn't being done. There are always reasons why something to good to be true, isn't true.

7. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

If I could find something that "gasified" as well as my dog does... I could solve the worlds energy problems.

8. SolarGary

SolarGary Well-Known Member

9. Vette Eaterr

Great, thanks to everyone, this will keep up tonight reading no doubt.

10. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I am not sure how practical this would be for hiway vehicle, but think it would have its place for tractor or engine running a generator. If I remember the TMEN article, burning wood smoke gives less horsepower so they found best to oversize the engine they were using for a particular application.

11. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

A guy I know is pretty interested in this, he actually has a wood gas generator that an old engineer fellow gave him, but apparently you almost need to be an engineer to keep one of these thing running properly, as this particular generator doesn't run at the moment...

12. Vette Eaterr

I do think it's true, just just a pain in the butt considering you can just put gas in your car and go. I believe it's just a matter of how much is your time worth to you. Mine's not worth a whole lot... so i'll give it a go.

13. NELSELGNE

NELSELGNE Well-Known Member

14. shiloh

shiloh Active Member

When I was up in Alaska for a time, my neighbor and I got a Brigs and Stratton engine to run on wood gas, just to see if it could be done.
    The whole point of wood gas is if there is ever a time when you can't get gasoline. Or afford it !
    The very first Honda was a small motor bike that ran on wood gas, using pine needles.
    Unless you have a pick up truck, or drag a trailer of wood around, not good for hiway, but maybe Ok around the homsestead.
    There were a lot more wood gas vehicles around during and right after WW2, when gasoline was hard to come by.
    I would like to have a steam powered generator, but steam engines are costly.

15. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

Yes I think that steam engines are much more ideal.

16. Vette Eaterr

What's the rules for hijacking your own thread?

Well any ideas for a steam powered genny? I've seen the mike brown engines, 3hp wouldn't be enough and the 20hp model is $6000 and requires 200 psi to run at full power. I would need something around 5000kw. What about other ideas for replacing oil?

The loss of power is not a problem, like you said just oversize the engine.

17. NELSELGNE

NELSELGNE Well-Known Member