Wood floors in kitchen?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by amelia, Dec 19, 2004.

1. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

I have my heart set on wood floors throughout but am being told by just about everybody that for a kitchen that's a big mistake. What do you all think?

2. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

I have oak in mine and have had for 8 years. No problems as of yet and none expected. I also just finished a home with maple throughout... I do keep them clean and never allow water to sit on them.

GA

3. EricG

EricG Well-Known Member

Wear is the challenge. Traffic pathways wear down the finish. I have seen them painted and they looked good, which is easy to touch up if it wears. If you want the natural wood finish look for "gym coat". It's the type of polyurethane they use on gymnasium floors. Very rugged stuff.

Braided rugs work well and look nice in the table area.

Eric

4. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Also keep in mind if you drop something very hot on a wood floor it can basically create a 'brand' of what was dropped. Repair of the damaged area can get expensive.

5. Terre d'Esprit

Terre d'Esprit Boer-ing Mom

I totally disagree with the naysayers you mention! I recently moved to my current house, from a house that we built in 1999. We had wood floors in the kitchen and dining room, and they lasted quite well, with 2 kids and 2 black labs. Yes, they had surface scratches after 4 years, but it was normal wear and tear, and didn't affect the sale of the house in the least. It was hardly noticeable.

I then moved to an 84 year old house, with 84 year old wood floors. They are gorgeous!! They are obviously a different quality than the newer ones in my old house, but you don't have to go with the cheapest ones in your house. My house has several types of wood, some of which is sealed with poly, and other rooms (like the kitchen) have floors that are simply oiled.

There is no feeling like the kitchen floor on my bare feet (okay, it's a little nippy in the winter). It's really soft, and it always makes me wonder whose footprints I am stepping on. There are also some minor stains and dings on the floor, but it always makes me wonder what stories the floor has to tell.

If it makes you happy, you should have wood floors!

T

6. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

I have to agree 100%. Coatings that go ON the floor like GYM COAT are the same things that show the wear and peel up after time/water/sunlight etc. If you use a carpet throw over wood floors then make sure it is soft backed. The harder backed throw carpets act like sand paper every time you walk on them.

GA

7. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I agree... oil your kitchen floors, or paint them and let the wear show through. It is called "character!"

8. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

we have wood floors throughout our house. It was built in 1896. The floor in the kitchen is wider than most of the rest of the house (8" maybe) . It is painted. Never had any problem with it since we've been here (6 years) and our dogs play and eat in there.

9. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

I'd say --it depends. On the age of the kiddies, of the spill level, of your own ability to immediately clean up spills. Had wood floors in DR when first child was at the "dump the food" stage. I sure envied the neighbor who could just mop and go. Stand in the middle of the kitchen and think--eggs on floor. Pan of oatmeal on floor. Milk and orange juice and kool aid spilled on floor. You could be like my S-I-L who NEVER spills, whose cat does not shed indoors, whose dog uses a napkin when eating, and whose family would never ever bring mud or dirt into the house. If you are a white carpet/furhiture family, go for it.

10. Kevin in MD

Kevin in MD Member

I have had my hardwood(oak, I think) floor in my kitchen for the past 6 years. The flooring I have was prepolyurethaned and seem to be holding up well. The wife and I have put a few dings in the floor by dropping heavy things(we're both klutzes). We have not had any issues with spills hurting the floor.

My parents have had their flooring which was put down and poly'ed after for over 17 years and my dad just recently had to sand and repoly the floor. Their floors have gone through me and my three siblings and are now going through 6 grandchildren with very minimal wear.

I would recommend hardwood floors in the kitchen to anyone and would further recommend the prepoly'ed style. I cannot comment on softwood or untreated hardwood floors since I haven't had any experience with them but I hope this helps.

Kevin

11. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Our first house that we built in 1976 had hardwood everywhere except tile or slate under the wood stoves in the kitchen and living room. The kitchen floor, like all the otheres, was red oak with a water-based polyurethane varnish. When we finally moved in 1989, we noticed that there was wear under the table in the dining area, and it could have used refinishing there. We moved into the house with one infant son, and had two others that were born in the house, so the house was subject to the wear and tear that 3 homeschooled boys would give it in 12 years.
    Our current house, which we have lived in for 15 years, also has oak with a new kind of water based finish in the kitchen and living and dining room areas.
    I have no problem with wood floors anywhere, except immediately under a wood stove.
    Jim

12. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

my sister has a wood floor in her kitchen and it's 145 years old. looks great, she has 7 kids, 3 grandkids. if you want it to look brand new forever, though...

I have laminated wood floors in my kitchen, wish I could afford the real stuff. I love it. but I immediately wipe up any spills.

13. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I live in a 160 yr old farm house that has wood floors thru out..even in the kitchen. Right before we bought the house 4 yrs ago the owners redid the floors..sanding it down and adding a good top coat. I have 3 dogs and no nicks in my floor :)

kppop

14. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

OH, drool, slobber, envy!

I have no idea why anyone would try to dissuade you from hardwood floors! My last house (built in 1879) had wonderful, delightful hardwood floors. Sure, when we first got the place (for a song: it had been subdivided into apartments! Horror!), we had to sand and varnish, but at least we COULD sand and varnish!

And we USED that house (because a house, as they say, is a machine for living in) and the floors developed a warmth over time that was absolutely lovely!

The floors on the main floor were good hardwood. The ones upstairs in the bedrooms were painted #2 clear pine planking. They were nice, too, with throw rugs scattered about, and they wore well.

Now, I have laminate. It looks nice enough, but it sure isn't hardwood! And despite the manufacturer's assurances, it DOES ding. And the dings can't be sanded out like they can with hardwood.

Go with your heart. I so miss my real hardwood floors!

15. jack_c-ville

jack_c-ville Well-Known Member

You can make it work, but the one thing I would avoid in kitchens is parquet wood flooring. Too many little pieces to swell, contract and generally shift around if spilled water gets to them.

We used parquet in our kitchen (mostly because we could get the materials for less than $1 per square foot) and I do regret it. Maybe a few more coats of polyurethane would be in order.

I wish you could get teak flooring. That would resist water problems in kitchens and bathrooms.

-Jack

16. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

We put in click laminate this summer....super simple to install and super tough when it comes to scratches, burns etc...It was 1.39 sq ft. They make all kinds of different looks....one looked like old pumpkin wide pine boards....I used the cuts for trivets and cutting boards when we were all done

17. LisaBug

LisaBug Well-Known Member

Go for the hardwood!!! We have black and white ash, 6 years old in almost all the main living area except for the bathroom and entry. When we put the flooring in we sealed it with Var-More (sp). Yes, we can see scratches where the dogs and cats have skidded around corners but it's held up beautifully despite puppies and dogs leaving puddles (sometimes for hours), us in our muddy boots with stones caught in the tread and assorted other hazards. We've never had anything 'brand' the floor, except a slight dent where a heavy pan was dropped. Even most scratches can be removed by a light sanding and recoating. Not that you want to do that often. Use the hardest finish (doesn't have to be thick) on the hardest wood you can get and it's almost indestructable hence the reason we have it. I'd avoid maple if possible, go with either ash or oak.

Good luck and hope you get your floors.

LisaBug

18. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I have pine floors in my kitchen/dining/living and hall, and we love it! It's been two yrs and we have not had any problems at all. I will never have anything else. They are easy to care for (they have 2 coats of poly) just damp mop with warm water and they look great. I can either vaccum or dust mop. Anither thing I have noticed: my allergies/sinuses are not as bad since we pulled up the carpet in the living and bedrooms.

19. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I had hardwood floors in a kitchen in Denver - I liked it. I would probably go with a laminate if I did mine, but the hardwood was nice.

20. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Hardwood works fine for the kitchen with just a small amount of care. I helped put in a pre-finished Bellawood floor a while back and it looks great. The nice thing about pre-finished is that they can put on a much, much more durable finish in the factory than a person can at home. Most have excellent finish warranties too.

If you are too worried about being able to care for them just go with a "Pergo" type laminate which are incredibly durable. You can beat on that stuff with a hammer and it will still look fine. I had Pergo in my office and even with the desk chairs rolling over it all the time it held up great.