Wood floors in bathrooms???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by barbarake, Jan 21, 2004.

1. barbarake

barbarake Well-Known Member

Hi again - I've been going through a huge batch of 'Country Home' magazines that I picked up somewhere. (These are decorating-type magazines.) Anyway, many of the bathrooms have wood floors. Granted, on some of them you can't tell if they are laminate or something like that but many of them mention that it's real wood.

I would like to do that same in the house I'm renovating but am concerned about how well they hold up. My bath will have a walk-in tiled shower but no bathtub. Obviously I would have some sort of bathroom rug on the floor and would mop up any visible water on the floor.

Anyone have any experience with this??

2. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Use real wood and not laminate and urathane the *ell out of it. Per*o and other laminates will fail without constant care, real wood is cheaper anyway. Just check the prices of the trim for laminates.

mikell

3. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I'm on my third house with wood floors in the bathroom, and it's great. Just make sure it's finished-8 coats of water-based poly should be all you need.

4. prhamell

prhamell Well-Known Member

Wood floors in bathrooms look so beautiful. Until that is you turn your 2 and 1/2 and 5 year old girls loose on bath night. I got tired of always yelling at them about keeping the water, bath toys, wash cloths, etc in the tub. And then on my hands and knees wiping up spilled water afterwards. We ended up taking the wood out and putting in tile. Oh well, maybe when their grown. I say that about a lot of stuff! Becky

5. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Try bamboo, it looks just like hardwood and is virtually water proof. I installed some in a bathroom three years ago with only two coats of finish and it still looks perfect. The boards are the same size and shape as hardwood and installed using the same tools. Check out ebay and search for bamboo flooring. They'll send you free samples. gobug

6. Leigh*

Leigh* Member

Had pine floors in the bathroom--wonderful and much warmer than tile. However, I agree with the above: don't go with wood if you have kids!!!