Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goats have recently started eating wood, so I concluded that the feed they were getting did not contain enough calcium. The problem is, the new mineral we got for them (which contains enough calcium) they won’t eat much of it. They ate a little bit when we first put it in, but haven’t touched it since and went back to eating wood.
Does anyone have any tips on how to get them to eat their minerals and stop eating wood? Their shelters are made of wood and the fence has wood posts, so taking the wood out isn’t an option.​

·
Premium Member
16,062 Posts
Goats have their own preference when it comes to minerals. Some they will eat and some they don't care for.

Maybe you could take them for a walk and let them browse.

Reactions: mzgarden and altair

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They have plenty of grass at all times. They still get hay and pea pellets with part sunflower seeds. We’ve also got cobalt salt with iodine next to the mineral as well.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
They are goats, eating wood is what they do. When I want to give mine minerals I put it in a tub on top of some pellets or other grain. They have to eat through the minerals to get to the grain.

·
Premium Member
16,062 Posts
They have plenty of grass at all times. They still get hay and pea pellets with part sunflower seeds. We’ve also got cobalt salt with iodine next to the mineral as well.
What about copper? They have a much higher need for copper than a lot of other animals. Sheep die from eating goat minerals with the higher copper concentration.

Reactions: mzgarden
1 - 10 of 10 Posts