wood cookstoves ????

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by exegeses, Aug 5, 2005.

1. exegeses

exegeses Well-Known Member

We're looking into getting a wood cook stove but have some questions because we know next to nothing about them!

1) What would be best - an older one (circa 1900) or a new 'air tight' one?

2) When were 'air tight' stoves first made?

Any other info would be wonderfully appreciated!

Thanks! Brit

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I don't know a thing about the modern ones. I learned to cook on an old Southen Comfort, though, and that thing was awesome! If I could get a wood cookstove again, I'd definitely get one with warmers and water reservoir(sp) on it. The water helps put some humidity back in the air, since the stove can dry it out. And the warmers do just that...keep that food warm while you're cooking the rest of the meal, or waiting on someone for dinner. Or keeping that apple pie for dessert hidden from prying eyes!

Man, the memories!

Meg

3. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Well-Known Member

Well if you can afford them the new ones are much better partly because of better combustion control but largely because of much larger fireboxes. With larger fireboxes you can use larger wood which means less work as well as partialy or maybe even fully heating your home in the winter. Also some of the new ones have stainless tops I'm sure that would be nice. Make sure to get a summer insert though so you dont need a big fire when you dont need heat. The big drawback to new ones is obviously the price they arent cheap!

4. Nancy in Maine

Nancy in Maine Well-Known Member

One thing to add.....I'm sure the new airtight ones are superior in many ways, but I've got a really old cookstove and you just can't beat the flavor of food cooked in that oven....it's the smoke! I don't know if the new ones allow smoke to travel into the oven, but mmmmmm--good!

5. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

I cook on a old Jewel cookstove and a meal cooked on her is the best! I also have a brand new propane stove, which I love too, but it doesn't compare. I think the Jewel is easier to cook a big meal on, and tastes so much better.

I can't say which would be a better buy. Mine has many cracks, and we talk about someday replacing it with a Pioneer Maiden. But right now we can't spend the money.

Our's doesn't heat our house. But I am able to use it during the summer, even in these really hot days. But it sits right near two doors.

You could buy a older model and see how you like it, and then go for the new one later on.

6. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

If you have homeowners insurance, check with them. Most insurance companies won't insure a place with an old stove.
    That said, I have two old cook stoves for sale.