Wood Cookstoves -- Pioneer Maid, or Baker's Choice?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mundamanu, Dec 22, 2006.

1. mundamanu

mundamanu Well-Known Member

Does anyone out there have either the Pioneer Maid or the Baker's Choice wood cookstoves available from Lehman's? If so, how do you like it?

If for some reason you don't like the Baker's Choice or Pioneer Maid, do you know of any other new wood cook stoves with a similar plain look that they might like better? I have looked around on the internet and I have found most of the new stoves that I have come across to be rather ornate for my tastes.

Thank you.

2. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

DW is set on the baker's choice, with water tank.

3. wendys_goats

wendys_goats wendys_goats

I have the Baker's Choice and I really like it.
    The only thing is the oven isn't real big. It's narrow at the sides and long front to back.
    But I can fit 3 bread pans in it. If you have a big house you might want to go with the Pioneer Maid to heat more but my Baker's Choice heats my house(kind of an older ranch) pretty good except on really cold days (under 20) we use another woodstove in the living room.
    Good Luck

4. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

I've seen both at Lehman's. They seem nice. Nicer than their catalog makes them sound. The Elmira Oval is a good stove, but more money. Here is a cookstove that has a huge firebox, http://www.woodstoves.net/queen.htm and not too expensive either.

5. mundamanu

mundamanu Well-Known Member

Thank you for the replies. In the description of the Pioneer Maid on the woodstoves.net site it says (www.woodstoves.net/pioneer2.htm)

"A Space Heater
    The Pioneer Maid doubles as a space heater when the oven door is open, thus converting the oven into a ready made heat exchanger, unbelievably efficient. Will heat approximately 2,000 square feet." (emphasis added)

Does this mean that the stove will only heat approx. 2,000 square feet if the oven door is opened? Is this the case with all wood cookstoves?

Thanks.

6. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I have a Kitchen Queen. It is Amish made and designed and was recommended to me by a nationally know man who restores older cookstoves. He told me for overall function and heating ability that I couldn't beat it. As many Amish homes I have been in in my neighborhood, I never noticed the name of their stoves. When I did, I found they all have Kitchen Queens. I heat 1600 square feet very nicely with mine, and I don't need the over door open. My oven is about the same size as a conventional gas oven, and is very functional and fairly easy to regulate once you get the feel for it. It has a huge fire box that holds coals for DAYS. I am leaving and will be gone for three days and when I get back I will be able to shake the ashes down good, throw some kindling on, give it air and I will have a fire. I sound like an ad for them, but quite honestly I love it as much as anything I have ever owned. If I remember right, the Kitchen Queen is also cheaper. Cindy from Kentucky has one and loves hers also. Somewhere on here she posted pictures of hers.

7. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

here is what i would live to have. the shack i am building to live in is only 250 sq ft so a large stove would run me out with all the heat

although this is a nice stove ,it is too pricy for me

[​IMG]

8. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

9. NorthernMich

NorthernMich Well-Known Member

10. Pigeon Lady

Pigeon Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

We have the Pioneer Maid and love it! I've found it very easy to use.

I especially like the huge cooking surface. You can have a lot of things cooking on there at the same time.

We haven't made a point of trying to keep a fire in it all night but many times, if we've had a hot fire going at about 11pm there will still be a good bed of hot coals or embers as late as 9am the next morning. It does quite a good job of heating our old farm house even though the stove is in the diningroom at the back of the house.

We bought ours from Obediah's in Montana:

http://www.woodstoves.net/

They have offer a military discount and the service was excellent.

I wrote about it and have pictures of it on my blog:

http://theinkyspinnery.blogspot.com/

Just click on October in the archives ( they're on the left)

Pauline