wood cook stoves

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Caelma, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

I've always wanted one, was wanting to educate myself on them.

What are the brands?
    What one do you like best?
    Where is the best place to look for them?
    What kind of price range are they?
    Are there different styles?

2. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

Ebay has them all the time. Good place to get idea for used prices. Lehman's is the place to get new prices. Order their catalog.

3. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

I can't tell you about brands and such, but if you are working hard at being self sufficent and/or your power goes out alot, make sure you get one with a water reservoir.

4. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

There is a really good simple to understand book called..Woodstove Cookery by Jane Cooper. Should be able to find a copy on e-bay. It just takes practice to cook on one..like any other stove. Just check any stove out as you would any other wood stove..cracks..etc. Unless it was totally abused..they are usually still in good working and cooking shape. A water tank on the side of the stove is nice to have for hot water and a warming oven is a plus too. They can get pretty "pricey"..so look and ask questions and take your time on your decesion. In fact..I had an extra cook stove and sold it for $75..to a guy for a hunting camp. It was in OK condition..but I think he really just wanted it for looks. Our current cook stove is still going strong and after a while you will both understand each other and be able to cook just as well as you would on any kitchen stove. I would check the local papers or put an ad in looking for a stove. Stop by the local Senior Citizens center. Some Senior just might have one sitting in their barn needing a good home. There are all types of "brands"..It will come down to when you find at the price you want to pay. Good Luck in your search !!

5. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

Look in the archives. I've bragged up the Pioneer Maid repeatedly. You won't find a better cookstove anywhere.

bearkiller

6. Grovers2

Grovers2 Well-Known Member

My husband & I just purchased a Woodsman Camp Range off Ebay. I was not looking for anything fancy, just functional. It was brand new and very reasonablly priced. It does not have the chrome or nickel trim like many of them, but it does have an 8 gal water res. We paid $849 for the stove and $145 to have it shipped 500 miles.

Jodi

7. jersey girl

jersey girl Well-Known Member Supporter

We have had a Kitchen Queen cook stove for about 5 years now. We love it. We have a large oven, stainless cooktop and a water reservoir. It heats almost our whole house well. The ash pan is also easy to clean out.
    We figured that it paid for itself in the first year. Propane prices keep going up but our wood stays free. We do try to keep a few years supply of wood though just in case one of us gets sick or hurt.
    Kitchen Queen is made in Indiana, I could get more information if anyone was interested.