Wood/Coal Burning Insert

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jamie_here, Oct 1, 2005.

1. jamie_here

jamie_here Active Member

Has anyone ever seen a wood/coal burning insert? If so where can we find information about this? We have a basement fireplace and with the price of oil :( we want to try using the fireplace more efficiently. The downstairs room is also a family room and it is directly below the living room/kitchen. We would like something to burn both because we can get most of our wood free and my husband has a log splitter and we think we could get buy with only about 1 1/2 tons of coal, if we can find room in the other half of the basement to store it. If anyone has one of these inserts, how do you like/dislike it.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially by our 3 kids and the baby to be born this winter :)

2. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

It sounds great to have a combo stove but.....

A wood fire burning effiently requires air to come from the side.
    A coal fire burning effiently requires air from the bottom.

With a combo stove you get the worst of both worlds. Decide which fuel is best/cheapest/easiest available and go with that. You don't put gas into a diesel truck becuase it's a liquid fuel. :)

3. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

I purchased a wood burning fireplace insert years ago at a lumber store year end clearance sale. I don't know anything about wood/coal combos tho.

The insert was the best investment ever, it came with a blower unit and worked like a dream. The fireplace we had, had no damper and most of our heat went up the chimney before the insert.

4. rustyshacklefor

rustyshacklefor Well-Known Member

i have a wood insert from buck stoves and it works great. i have a 15 foot ceiling in my family room and it still manages to keep it warm along with the whole house on very cold nights and will burn all night long with only 3-4 logs at bed time.

5. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

Just as a precaution, I would definitely stay away from coal as a result of the mercury issue. Especially with 3 children and one on the way. Mercury is a potent neurotoxin and released when coal is burned. It is especially dangerous with smaller children and fetuses. Go with wood, even if it is harder to get a hold of in your area, or less convenient, or costs more. Believe me, the future price you'll pay for exposing children to high levels of mercury is too great to risk. I wish that I had known this before I had my last child, so I thought I would pass it on to you. Good luck with your endeavors, and stay warm.

6. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

Try Lehman's - they had wood and coal kitchen stoves that offer inserts. Not sure if that's what you had in mind, but maybe an inset is an insert!?!

7. jamie_here

jamie_here Active Member

Thanks for the information, especially about coal and children. I will pass everything along to my husband and go from there.
    Jamie

8. LOCKHA885

LOCKHA885 Active Member

[SIZE=7If I were you, I would use the Search engine, and just look up Fireplace inserts, and go from there. I wouldn't just look at
    Lehman's they are a bit pricey, and you can buy almost everything they sell, a lot cheaper somewhere else.
    I have been looking at Woodstove, and have found all the info I could want just by using my search box and going to the different sites it has on it.
    Good luck. :)

9. tek254

tek254 New Member

I do not know about inserts, however I do have two combo burners. One is a huge, monstrous beast that I call the "iron works". I prefer hard coal, nugget size. The coal tends to give off more even heat for a longer duration than strcitlly wood. Coal is runningarond $120.00 a ton here in southwestern Pa. We also have an old KALAMAZOO combo unit in the living room. In this we use wood, mainlly for extra heat on those bitter cold days, and also for the "atmosphere" of having a fire burning. If you were to combine a little coal with hardwood, this also works well, you just have to maintain the fire more. I have friends who have inserts, but they use pellets which are about the same as coal in costs.