wood carvers

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jackie c, Jan 17, 2005.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I posted this on shop talk, not a good place for everyone to see it I guess, anyway...

Does any one carve wood here? I have dabbled in this and really enjoy it, I'm thinking of making some small carosel horses, about 12 inches high, and working my way up through rocking horses, to a full sized carosel one. I have books for each of these phases, and am interested in seeing some of your work, anything from duck decoys to life sized projects. I would also like to carve a 'wood spirit' to place at the entrance of my driveway, and maybe a life sized teeth barring bear holding a "Dead End" sign, for the gravel pit entrance.

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

:haha:

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

my wife carves both three d and releaf .now she wants to carve a full size bear chair for her familys hunt camp with a chain saw!only thing holding her back is time. she has not had lessons but there is a fellow that carves bear that does give lessons near us.only thing is "hunters" shoot any bear they see!better to sculpt outa concrete and rock so the bear can return fire :haha: princess auto had a nice carving set before chistmas ,not sure if they still have any but nice starter set.

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

http://www.comnet.ca/~owcarvers/Courses/adrich.html the above web site is a fellow near ottawa that carves animals . also on his site is a link to a good club web site. we attended a show in ottawa where they displayed their carvings. well worth the time!

5. Rod Torgeson

Rod Torgeson Well-Known Member

6. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

I used to carve a lot. These days I work more in silver. A mid-sized carving might take me 40 hours. A silver pendant or ring might only take 3 - 4 hours. As close to instant gratification as I can get.

I do want to carve a totem pole. I want to put a representation of each family member on it and put it up by the workshop.

I will have to look around and see if I have any pics to post.

Sylvar