wood burning:

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Maranman, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Maranman

Maranman Well-Known Member

We recently put in a free standing wood burner,and my question is on days when the wind will take the smoke up and then back down to the ground it causes a back lash of smoke to be pushed back thru the heater.This only happens on days of high and low winds.I hope this makes sense to somebody out there.It draws good and burns good and heats real well.And it feels so good to know your are making use of your own resources and what God has provided you.

Thanks to all,
    David

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Out back

3. Lileyfarm

Lileyfarm Member

Wow thank you so much for the link. I just emailed them. We will see what happens.

As far as the height of the flue, that's definitely a major cause. In our case, we kept building the chimney higher and higher, but it didn't help. I think that the pitch of or roof is just to high, and we would have to build the chimney extremely high in the air for it to make a difference. The general rule is for the flue to be 2ft above the top of the roof unless it is at least 10ft form the pitch.

4. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

lileyfarm, we also have a tall pitched 10/12 roof here and have major downdrafting problems. Only when it is really windy from more than one direction though. We also made the chimney taller and taller making sure it was higher than the peak of the roof. I just installed a wind directional cap on our compost toilet vent for the same reason and this seems to have helped a great deal. I have ordered one for our woodstove chimney and it will be here next week, I can hardly wait!

5. Maranman

Our flue or stack,[chimney] is made very safe, but at the same time it is made of materails that we had here on the farm.The lady next door had a wood burner she wanted to give us.The house did not have a chimney in it so we used a back bedroom in the house, there was a double window,we took the windows out set the heater up on cinder blocks[to get high enough from the window seal] and we had a piece of thick aluminum that we fit in the window,we cut a hole in it and slid our 6 in" pipe thru the middle[very snug].We had a 12 Ft' culvert in which we dug a hole and put about 6 inches of that in the ground,then another 6 in" hole had to be cut in the culvert for the pipe from the stove to the culvert,then we made a cap to fit over the top end of the culvert,we cut another 6 in" hole in the cap and added 4 more ft of 6 in pipe on the top of the culvert using self tapping screws when needed to help secure everything.
    The house itself is a 14 foot wide trailor with 3 rooms built on the back,so the pitch is pretty high.So that's why it took so much pipe and all.We used the back bedroom because there was nothing in it and to control the heat as our days are not as cold as some[the high today 76]of the other states.We can open another window in the heater room if it gets to hot.
    So far the only problem has been windy [all directional] days and down drafts.Other than that it has been a pleasure to heat with wood.

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

WOW, I wanna know what company you carry your homeowners insurance with!

7. Lileyfarm

Lileyfarm Member

Sisterpine, what company did you order the cap from?
    Thanks

8. Maranman

I feel just as safe or safer as if I were in a Manufactured home with the doubled walled pipe running thru the ceiling and I have been there and felt how hot it gets around those doubled walled pipes and ceilings.
    Just because OSHA says. it safe does'nt mean it is.The Ins. thing is under control .Thanks for being concerned.

9. Maranman

Yeah,Sisterpine where did you get your cap?
    Thanks David,

10. Cabin Fever

It has nothing to do with how you FEEL. It has to do with what your insurance company will cover when you have your chimney fire.

11. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

What insurance company??? Doesn't sound like these folks are your standard fire bunnies. Got to love a good design. Thing will probably shrug off the chimney fire if I understand it to be one of those culvert pipes. Exposed pipes like that can take tremendous fires and glow like fireflies and act like nothing happened.

I used some old cellar steel doors in a scheme to burn and break some real monster narly rocks behind my house. Rigged up a big air blast nozzle, fired a small wood / coal fire in a pit covered by this door leaned up on the rock, like a cutting torch on steroids . Talking white heat in a cone into the rock with that door glowing red as the heat shield to contain the heat in a concentrated area. Many cycles of fire and break and when I got done, door was a bit warped but still intact. Any chimney fire would be tame by comparison.

I love the designs done of pure necessity that are so innovative they must be illegal. :rolleyes:

Ain't never going to be enough fuel in that thing to hurt it. Hopefully they stood it far enough off the house to prevent it getting set on fire. Lordy that ain't a chimney, looks like a rocket test stand. But the critters might not even stick to it. The normal expansion and contractions of the pipe might cause it to be self cleaning. Maybe a clean out / inspection door at the bottom is all that this great design needs to be complete. :worship:

12. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Its only illegal if you get caught...thats what a cop told me once :)

13. Maranman

Oh Cabin Fever thanks for your concern, and like I said it's all under control.It has a lot to do with how you feel when the difference is, your in a house warm[by wood]and cozy, or in a house out of propane, and it's freezing .When you have a wife and children to take of, and you are disabled, and it seems no one else cares, you do what you have to .I have not asked for a thing, just used the resourses that I had to keep warm.Ain't that what homesteading is all about anyway?Allot of us must be dummies here, in Mississippi, you can see this sort of thing most every where ya go.I have known of a many a house burn down because of a brick chimney fire.Did they have Insurance? I guess that was up to them was't it, or they were just using the means they had at the time.
    I do understand what you were saying Cabin Fever. But sometimes it's how we say what we say that means the most.
    Just doing the best I can and enjoying ever minute of it .And the best thing of it all was I did'nt have to ask man for a thing.We just put our faith and trust in Him.

14. Cabin Fever

Maranman, I was just trying to help and maybe just being a little critical in the way I expressed myself. I admire your ingenuity and I'm sure what you have is a safe set-up. It wouldn't be a safe set-up in Minnesota because outdoor chimneys that are tall and single-wall metal construction result in excessive creosote build-up. What happens is the smoke cools readily in a single wall metal chimney and condenses on the inside of the chimney causing creosote. SHort metal chimneys that are outdoors are okay....but the tall ones have too much height and the smoke cools before exiting.

The problem is, and I've seen it before, that a family who has been paying for homeowners insurance for years finds out that they are not covered after a devasting chimney fire because their set-up was not to code. And this happens to be in an area where there is no building code....which makes no difference because the insurance company has their own building code.

At any rate, I was just trying to caution you about a possible insurance problem....it may be a non-issue if you're not insured.

15. Maranman

[​IMG]
    jest kiddin, yaw

:haha:, Now, this is Mis sip pi!!!

.......this is what we say, "if the van is'a smokin', don't bother stokin!!", hehe..