Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,481 Posts
So many variables. In northern Michigan, a well insulated old 5 bedroom farmhouse, with well dried oak, sugar maple, white ash, burn 10 full cords, plus 2 full cords in the cookstove, all with no back up heat. Outside wood boilers about double that.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I don't know if this is the right place for this question but here it is

As a lot of yo know I have been working on a story set in a homesteading group in a post apocalyptic southern IL

so today's question is how much wood do yo really need to heat a home for winter? It sees like every one has a different opinion on this. Now let's think bigger how much seasoned wood is needed for a settlement of 40 people.
Lots of variables.
Type of wood.
How well seasoned.
size of house or cabin.
location or. Open ground. Protected.
part of the country.
how well insulated.
type of stove.
my problem is cabin is only 14x18. It's in the woods which is good. Can't figure out what stove to use. I'm gonna need at least an 8 hour burn time but that means a bigger stove than a 250 sq ft area can handle.

·
Registered
564 Posts
That is small , there is nothing out there that will give you a 8hour burn time.
You need to lay in lots of insulation .
My cabin has a insulated cement floor with radiant heat pipes it really absorbs the heat from the stove if I run my ceiling fan backwards slowly .
I use a magnolia stove from tractor supply it’s rated for 2500 feet
I load twice a day once in the morning 700 to make coffee if it’s real cold I mite add 3 splits
around lunch time .
At 500 I load the stove then make dinner I mite add a few splits before bed.
it’s more important that the stove hold fire for a long time , so in the morning you drop wood in and it lites off easy
for that size place a jotol 602 would be a good fit, it will hold fire for 8 hours and heat for 6 hrs on low They sell for 200 bucks a lot a real nice one is 6 to 800
A harth stone soap stone stove gives off heat after it gos out .

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I'm gonna need at least an 8 hour burn time but that means a bigger stove than a 250 sq ft area can handle.
No it doesn't, you don't have to fill the firebox. Trial and error will teach you how to build the fire.

·
Registered
564 Posts
If you don’t fill the fire box you won’t get a 8 hour burn .
My stove holds wood like a cave but I get 20 splits in 22” long north and south and I can go 10 hrs 5 splits will give me 5 hours .
i Just let the stove go out
Building Wood Wall Gas Font

·
Registered
12,340 Posts
That is small , there is nothing out there that will give you a 8hour burn time.
You need to lay in lots of insulation .
My cabin has a insulated cement floor with radiant heat pipes it really absorbs the heat from the stove if I run my ceiling fan backwards slowly .
I use a magnolia stove from tractor supply it’s rated for 2500 feet
I load twice a day once in the morning 700 to make coffee if it’s real cold I mite add 3 splits
around lunch time .
At 500 I load the stove then make dinner I mite add a few splits before bed.
it’s more important that the stove hold fire for a long time , so in the morning you drop wood in and it lites off easy
for that size place a jotol 602 would be a good fit, it will hold fire for 8 hours and heat for 6 hrs on low They sell for 200 bucks a lot a real nice one is 6 to 800
A harth stone soap stone stove gives off heat after it gos out .
I use a Magnolia stove and its smaller brother the 2000. The photo you posted above doesn't look like the Magnolia. I picked mine up directly from the manufacturer, US Stove. Wood stove prices have jumped substantially the past several years. Both are now in the $1400 range new.
Replacing the standard firebrick inside with soap stone will improve over night heat retention

·
Registered
564 Posts
I use a Magnolia stove and its smaller brother the 2000. The photo you posted above doesn't look like the Magnolia. I picked mine up directly from the manufacturer, US Stove. Wood stove prices have jumped substantially the past several years. Both are now in the $1400 range new.
Replacing the standard firebrick inside with soap stone will improve over night heat retention
Hmmmm I think this one was made for tractor supply it has legs and the cheep looking silver around the door .

·
Registered
564 Posts
It looks like they changed the stove a little bit
The temp dropped to 0 and we where staying in a old trailer working on the house .
We allmost froze , the next morning I was in tractor supply buying the stove , it was the largest stove they had at the time .
It heats good but when I’m 100% done building I’ll get some thing nicer .
I paid 750$ nov 15 2017 I think .

Attachments

·
Registered
12,340 Posts
It looks like they changed the stove a little bit
The temp dropped to 0 and we where staying in a old trailer working on the house .
We allmost froze , the next morning I was in tractor supply buying the stove , it was the largest stove they had at the time .
It heats good but when I’m 100% done building I’ll get some thing nicer .
I paid 750$ nov 15 2017 I think .
The 1st photo below is the US Stove Model 2000.
The 2nd photo is the US Stove Model 2500 Magnolia. Yes, it has some nickle plating around the door.
We have three wood stoves in our home. I did not realize the spike in prices until I started shopping for another stove recently. Cast Iron stoves are no longer a cheap, well kept secret among homesteaders.
There are catalytic stoves that are better; I use these because of their performance and I am familiar with them.
I believe they have discontinued that line.
Product Rectangle Automotive tire Heat Gas

Output device Home appliance Television set Font Heat

·
Registered
564 Posts
That look a lot like mine, the ash draw look larger and mine has a larger lip .
I think the New Englander burns better and has a much taller door for larger wood.
I was using a 55 gallon drum kit for heat when we where building but I did not like the way it glows , I was not the only one using it .
I think they are robbing us on line , I was in tractor supply this morning and the stove are still 750 ish on the floor
I’ll probably get a hearthstone stove when one pops up cheep .
People sell them cheep because they can’t move them .
I move my hearthstone equinox with a fork lift and put it on the deck and rolled it in the house on pvc pipe I think it must weigh 700lbs

·
Registered
12,340 Posts
I unloaded the last one off my truck into my tractor loader and drove to the front door. My sister, brother in law, daughter, son, son in law and grandson all formed a circle and we got it down into the lower level of the house. To be fair, a couple of them held beers for the others.
Have you ever seen the three stooges where they try to go thru the door all at once? Lol.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts