Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any problems with installing wood burning stoves in a manufactured home? Also would welcome input on stove pipe kits.
Thanks
Centurion

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've been researching wood stoves and I've noticed that a lot of them say (in the manufacturer's specifications) that they are not certified for use in a mobile home. I'm not sure why some are and some are not - but be careful.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Better check with your home insurance company first. We have a stick-built house and they still said "no" to our wanting a wood stove---unless it was one of those outside the house ones and even then they had to come and inspect it before they would okay it. They wouldn't accept a fireplace unless it was the all brick kind---no kit fireplaces.

·
Registered
989 Posts
We asked our ins agent about that also. She told us it was ok as long as they are URL rated, and in the papers of the stove they say that. Do you have a fireplace in the mobile now? If not your ins company might get sticky about it. It seems to me if there is an existing fireplace they might at least let you get a gas insert, if anything. Would it be ok (for the ins.) to build an addition to put the stove in? Do they have the same rules about propane/electric room heaters? You might have to look into an alternative to the wood stove if the ins. won't budge. If its not a very new trailer you might have problems with that as well. Maybe if its older you get sell it and buy up or build a cabin with the money. HTH :eek:

·
Banned
4,808 Posts
part of my mothers house is a mobile.. well it was mobile, and the house was built onto it and around it.. sorta.
anyhow, her house insurance required a kit for a mobile home on the stove. her stove is a vermot castings, and it has an optional heat shield kit spacificly dfor a mobile home..
it wasnt expensive, and easy to install. look in leamans catalog they have all the stuff there.

·
Super Moderator
12,686 Posts
The ever poupler wood buring stove thread. I do believe there is one just posted recently. I guess they didn't see this one.

:D Al

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I always click to see which style is being asked about...woodstove like a pot belly, wood stove like a sealed HE reburner or the classic 4 burner oven style wood stove with a firebox.....:D

·
Registered
10,860 Posts
The ever poupler wood buring stove thread. I do believe there is one just posted recently. I guess they didn't see this one.
Maybe 'cause this thread is from 2003

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
I was so much older than, I am younger than that now-Dylan

In Canada insurance won't cover it if in trailer. You have to build a a covered porch and put it out there.

For the life I me I can figure our difference.

·
Super Moderator
12,686 Posts
The Hay one is two years old and when I mentioned it I was told that it should be discussed today because some one may have the problem today.

Since wood stove post seem to come in the fall this post should be up for discussion same as the hay rant thread.

Who cares how old a post is some one today may have a need to read what is being said today.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Our place has two Build Ons and a Fireplace Insert, Bricked in. First we tried to get Insurance on the place and couldn't. So we used a Gas Log.

Told my wife the next Winter we needed to find someone to Insure us heating with Wood. We found a Company and was going to drop the one we have. All of a sudden they can Insure us. o_O

big rockpile

Reactions: shawnlee
1 - 11 of 11 Posts