Wood Burning Stoves

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Centurion, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Centurion

Centurion Guest

Has anyone had any problems with installing wood burning stoves in a manufactured home? Also would welcome input on stove pipe kits.
    Thanks
    Centurion

2. barbarake

barbarake Well-Known Member

I've been researching wood stoves and I've noticed that a lot of them say (in the manufacturer's specifications) that they are not certified for use in a mobile home. I'm not sure why some are and some are not - but be careful.

3. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Better check with your home insurance company first. We have a stick-built house and they still said "no" to our wanting a wood stove---unless it was one of those outside the house ones and even then they had to come and inspect it before they would okay it. They wouldn't accept a fireplace unless it was the all brick kind---no kit fireplaces.

4. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

We asked our ins agent about that also. She told us it was ok as long as they are URL rated, and in the papers of the stove they say that. Do you have a fireplace in the mobile now? If not your ins company might get sticky about it. It seems to me if there is an existing fireplace they might at least let you get a gas insert, if anything. Would it be ok (for the ins.) to build an addition to put the stove in? Do they have the same rules about propane/electric room heaters? You might have to look into an alternative to the wood stove if the ins. won't budge. If its not a very new trailer you might have problems with that as well. Maybe if its older you get sell it and buy up or build a cabin with the money. HTH :eek:

5. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

part of my mothers house is a mobile.. well it was mobile, and the house was built onto it and around it.. sorta.
    anyhow, her house insurance required a kit for a mobile home on the stove. her stove is a vermot castings, and it has an optional heat shield kit spacificly dfor a mobile home..
    it wasnt expensive, and easy to install. look in leamans catalog they have all the stuff there.