wood burning cook stoves

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by glenda, Feb 16, 2005.

1. glenda

glenda Well-Known Member

I have a question for each one of you. We are wanting to find a good wood burning cook stove the ones with a oven. Does anyone out there know of places to order one. I know lehmans has them but we were wondering if there is any other places

2. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Put an add in the local papers and buy a good used cook stove first to see if you really like them. Herself couldn't and wouldn't live without one.

3. bootbuilder

bootbuilder New Member

My father in law has a stove that he is going to be selling. It is a Heartland. It is still in the crate so I will have to go and see which model (oval or sweetheart). I think that it is the oval model 1903 with resevoir. It has the water jacket, heat sheild, and fresh air kit. If you have any questions send me an email bootbuilder@hotmail.com

4. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a 1960's Monarch wood/electric cook stove for sale. $75 white enamel with a shelf on top. If you are interested, pm me with your e-mail address and I can send you a photo.

5. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

Mary Ann,

Current issue of Countryside has an advertisement for the Pioneer Maid cookstove. See page 121.

Look over the archives to read my previous rave reviews of this stove. In short it is an excellent choice and I would pay the price to buy another.

bearkiller

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I got my little baby cookstove at auction....came complete with a picture of the original owner taken the day he bought it in 1941 from Sears & Roebuck....$75 in good working order.

check around there are deals to be had

7. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Herself is currently using a Heartland Sweetheart (it took her a long time to talk me into spending so much on a new stove, but when she pointed to my new barn and herd of cattle I got the hint). She had been using a old wood and LP gas combo, and still has it. We've had quite a number of used wood ranges during our 33+ years together.

I've seen a lot of people buy wood cook stove and then stop using it because it's not "instant" as are gas and electric, but once one is grows accustomed to the care a feeding of the wood range, there's nothing better.

There are literally thousands of old wood cook stoves hiding out in garages and barns across the country; and their usually very cheap.

8. tprice

tprice Tp in sc

Glenda: Just do a search using "wood cookstoves". There are hundreds of dealers out there. I got my Sheepherder cookstove from transoceanltd.com. Enjoy the search. Tim in SC.

9. glenda

glenda Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your comments. My husband and I will reread some of these and get back to you.. Again thank you for your ideas. They are appricated..
    glenda

10. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I got my stove on ebay. It's a vogelzang and was brand new. It works really nice. Nothing fancy mind you just a black stove but does great! I love it! It was won on ebay for $510 and then $140 for shipping so I have $650 in a brand new stove. I think it was congofireplace.com who had it listed. The oven door is 13"x10". Has the warming oven and all. You can also go to the website vogelzang.com Hope that helps!!