wood auger bit

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by MN Mom, Oct 18, 2006.

1. MN Mom

MN Mom Well-Known Member

Found an old wood type auger drill bit out in the barn lately. It has about 5" of auger and has the screw type tip on it. The old part is that it has a 7' shaft on it after the auger tip.

Our house is a 1890s log home. Is it possible that it was used in the construction of our house? What kind of drill was used to power this thing?

Thanks,
    Jon

2. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

A wooden handle more than likely. If it was built by anyone doing it for a living as opposed to a homeowner they may have used it in a chest brace or a handcrank mortiser. As to whether it was used on your home find a peg hole and measure it and the auger to see if they are the same size. The two I own are 1" and 1 1/4".

3. Dave S.

Dave S. Well-Known Member

You said 7', I take that to mean seven feet. If that is the case it was probably used to bore out logs to make wooden pipes. If you meant 7" then it was most likely used in a boring machine or with a wooden T-handle. Bits used in timberframing were usually 1.5", or 2" for boring out mortises, or could be 13/16",7/8", or 1" for peg holes. If it is 7' long, it is quite unusual. I wouldn't want the job of making wooden pipe!

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Being in Minnesota :viking: ...Could it possibly be an Ice Auger for drilling Ice Fishing holes?

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I would vote for the wood pipe auger also. I'll have to go look for the bits of that old wood laying around here, see how long the 'pipes' were.

You didn't mention how big a hole it made?

What is the end of the stem - just round rod, 4-sided taper, threaded, or?

Wouldn't want that job either!

--->Paul

6. beowoulf90

beowoulf90 Well-Known Member Supporter

I would guess that you have a wood auger bit, made for a brace. It could be used in, the chest brace or a hand brace or "T" handle. There are some of us that still use this type of wood working equipment. It the end that goes in to the chuck is 4-side and tapered I would guess that it is for the above gear. Now at 7" long that seems alittle short, because only the smaller diameter bits are that short, however if it is 7' long and has a diameter of at least an inch then I would also agree that it was for making water pipe. (I would love to see it in use).
    If there is any way you can post a picture it sure would help...
    Mike

7. Dave S.

If we knew the diameter of the auger it would also help. An ice auger is going to be several inches in diameter, and probably have a crook in the top like a bit brace so you can crank it.

8. Dave S.

btt

Anymore details MN Mom? I am dying to know if it's a pipe boring bit.

9. MN Mom

MN Mom Well-Known Member

Have been busy getting ready for winter and such. Will try and post a picture and dimesions later this week.

Jon

10. beowoulf90

beowoulf90 Well-Known Member Supporter

I just thought of something else, if it is 7' long it might also be a boring bit to make the old style gun barrels, but sight unseen it is hard to say what it is..