Wood ashes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by nwilder, Mar 11, 2005.

1. nwilder

nwilder Active Member

We heat with wood so we have alot of ashes. Can we put these in our garden?

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Yes, but don't overdo it, you can get the soil too alkaline for some plants. It is a good way to sweeten sour soil tho.

3. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, but don't get carried away with them....DH kept dumping them on my one ancient white lilac and almost killed it. They are good for the acid soil of MO in moderate amts. DEE

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

wood ashes are great for aspargus, but if you let ashes lay out in the weather, the rain will leach out a lot of usable nutrients. Mixed manure or compost with hardwood ashes is the way to dress the plants that are heavy feeders (like asparagus).
    Don't use wood ashes on acid loving plants and especially where you'll plant potatoes. It can cause scab on potatoes.

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Rhubarb also likes wood ashes..

6. Hillbillybob47

Hillbillybob47 Member

I like to burn a large brush pile in mid Jan. and mark it with steaks in the ground about 2 foot high with small red flags ( strips of anything red ) and wait untill we get a good snow fall 4 or more inches and spread my lettice seed in the area I burned the brush pile. Gives me more lettice than I can give away with hardly anyother work. Have tryed wood ashes from stove. Works only about half the time. I always get lettice just not always as big a crop. I have a large garden and always spread my ashes over it.

7. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Your fruit trees will love them.