Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you give wood ash to your chickens for dust bath, where do you put it? Box? Just dump it on the ground? If your chickens free range, do you put it near to coop?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I took a 30 gallon drum and cut it in half, screwed a couple 1x2 to the bottom, drilled small holes in it to allow water out.... voila.

I mix peat moss, wood ash, and DE together for our dusting.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I use an old 13x9 pan that was to stained and a bit rusty to keep cooking with. I only have 4 birds so it's enough for them. Kinda silly to watch but my chickens have been trained to put themselves in the pan! Hehe

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use an old 13x9 pan that was to stained and a bit rusty to keep cooking with. I only have 4 birds so it's enough for them. Kinda silly to watch but my chickens have been trained to put themselves in the pan! Hehe
That is too funny!

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,849 Posts
I had a nice bin for them in the coop during winter that they used, but once the snow cleared and the ground dried out they dust bathed wherever they pleased in the run....no matter where I dumped the ashes.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an additional question ... do you keep the ashes in an area that is out of the rain? I imagine the ashes would turn into a nasty mush when wet. We get a good amount of rain and ground stays pretty moist. Should I just put a pan in the coop?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I leave mine out in the open, it has holes drilled into the bottom for water to drain, seems to work fine. You could easily build a little hoop roof for it though..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts